Monitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter.Cort

TF's First Dry Ice User!
Ok, I need advise on monitors. I want a 24" for sure, it will mostly be used as a secondary screen for my laptop, needs DVI but most come with that now anyway so that's not a huge concern. I will be doing a lot with video and photo editing so I want high quality. Price isn't an issue necessarily, but it can't be tons of money. What I want really is a 24 or 30" Cinema display (apple) but they are extremely expensive as well as the comparable Dells. Looks are definitely a factor, if it looks like **** I don't want it, it could be the greatest monitor ever but I don't want it.

I would go for this:
Newegg.com - ASUS VW246H Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 20000:1) Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors

Pretty good price for a 24", looks great on the outside (well, at least to me :D), and has a full HD resolution. Seems like a good pick to me :D

Wow, if I had the cash for a newer monitor, I think this would be one of my choices. Very nice looking monitor, and the built in speakers it a plus for me, even though they are worthless.

I don't really care about speakers, living with 3 other guys doesn't lend itself to loud music so headphones are the norm for me. Also I'd rather have 1920x1200 over 1080p res because I'm not going to use it as a movie playing monitor, only a work monitor so the extra 120 pixels would be of advantage. Right now this is probably my top pick behind the Apple, Newegg.com - Acer B243WCbmzdr Black 24" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 40000:1 Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors unless there's a better monitor for around $400

I think your best bet is Dell, especially since you want a higher grade panel. I'm pretty sure those monitors mentioned here are TN panels.

I want this monitor for the res Newegg.com - Acer B273HU bmidhz Black 27" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 400 cd/m2 40000:1 Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors but, I just picked up a Hanns G 28" yesterday I don't care about color reproduction or anything so I'm pretty happy w/ it. Got two stuck pixels though.

edit:
Cheaper here
PROVANTAGE: Acer ET.HB3HP.001 B273HU bmidhz 27-inch Widesceen LCD Monitor

Unfortunately the majority of 24" panels these days arent very good quality in terms of viewing angles, colour, contrast ration etc. All but a few are TN panels and therefore pretty poor for any editing or graphics work. You really want to be looking for a higher grade IPS or VA panel if you want quality. Dell do some IPS 24" monitors as do HP (check out the HP LP2475w), but as you already said they are expensive. There is really no cheaper option other than TN panels unfortunately.

So if you can afford a Dell you wont regret it (my 27" is amazing - S-IPS by the way) but if you can't then from what I have heard one of the best TN panel displays is the BenQ G2400WD. It is supposed to have good colours for a TN and itsnt too bright - it gets a better wrap than similar Samsungs, Asus or Acers.

I use a 32" LCD HDTV as my monitor lol...i hook it up to my video card via HDMI cable, and it even gets sound from my video card too (HD 4850)

From my experience ASUS, Samsung, LG, Philips and Viewsonic are all pretty reliable and decent performance for the money. Philips, LG and Samsung are all very easy to RMA defective products with (although I haven't encountered too many issues). I'd avoid hanns, acer, cicero, etc. You may be one of the lucky users who will got long life out of them with good performance, but you're playing the odds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom