GTX 285 being detected as gtx260

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did you buy the GTX 285? Post up a GPU-Z screenshot.....and a picture of the actual card front and back.

You can't flash a 285 to a 260, they use completely different hardware...sounds to me like you were sent a GTX 260 when you paid for a 285.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FLASH THE BIOS TO A GTX 285 YET

You should contact EVGA before you flash it as you may void your warranty. They, EVGA, should be able to provide you with a bios that is factory authorized :D

Where did you buy the GTX 285? Post up a GPU-Z screenshot.....and a picture of the actual card front and back.

You can't flash a 285 to a 260, they use completely different hardware...sounds to me like you were sent a GTX 260 when you paid for a 285.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FLASH THE BIOS TO A GTX 285 YET

There is the GPU-Z. I don't feel like taking it out to get pictures but I have inspected it to make sure. The serial numbers on the sticker match up, the cooler is definitely a GTX285 cooler.

You should contact EVGA before you flash it as you may void your warranty. They, EVGA, should be able to provide you with a bios that is factory authorized :D

I did contact them last night and the guy said he has to send in for authorization. I am just impatient :p oh and he said if he got the bios for me, I would be able to flash it with the nvidia control panel thing but I went into the nvidia control panel and I noticed its not giving me any of the advanced options like I remember it used to. It only gives me basic things like setting resolution and setting up multiple screens and that mumbo jumbo. I am on Win7 if that makes any difference.

I also found out last night that the card runs very hot. I want to see if this is a result of the bios thing before I go RMA. I got it at FRY's but that is over an hour away from me so I don't want to go back there if I don't have to.

Well cards don't come from the manufacturer with the "wrong bios". And a GTX 260 bios shouldn't even work on a GTX 285 as they use different components.

Wow so I took the card out and compared it to pics on newegg and I think you are right gurusan. The back of the card looks identical to the gtx260. Sorry for my impatience and putting off your suggestion. I just didn't think it was possible for them to put a GTX260 in a gtx285 cooler. Thats a pretty dumb mistake that I think should never happen.

This is very frustrating. I think I'm just going to order a new one off newegg and then return this to FRY's when I get a chance.

Somewhat off topic but I haven't been keeping up with hardware too much lately so I was wondering if we can expect the next gen cards within three months.

I'm thinking Yes, hopfully by next month sometime :D

Oooooohh that means I can step up to a new one :)

I went ahead and bought a GTX 295 from newegg and I'll go return this piece of junk when I have the time. I bought the GTX295 because I'm going to step up to the next gen cards when they come out and I figure they'll be about the price of a GTX 295 anyways so why not.

Wow so I took the card out and compared it to pics on newegg and I think you are right gurusan. The back of the card looks identical to the gtx260. Sorry for my impatience and putting off your suggestion. I just didn't think it was possible for them to put a GTX260 in a gtx285 cooler. Thats a pretty dumb mistake that I think should never happen.

This is very frustrating. I think I'm just going to order a new one off newegg and then return this to FRY's when I get a chance.

Somewhat off topic but I haven't been keeping up with hardware too much lately so I was wondering if we can expect the next gen cards within three months.

No need to apologize, I'm just glad you did not flash the card with a 285 bios as it would brick the card and you might have a tough time swapping it after that!

And the 5870 and 5850 are out this Wednesday.....I certainly would not buy a GTX 285 right now seeing as from what we have seen so far a 5870 is most likely to be faster than a GTX 295

Interesting, thanks for the advice. I'll go cancel my order then. They haven't charged me yet. Do you have any links to some stuff I can read about either of the nvidia or ati cards?

Well NDA is not up until the 23rd...but here is some info:

Available: September 22 (US) 23 (EU)
AKA: RV870 XT, Cypress XT
$399 (1GB), $449 (2GB) also: Eyfinity Edition (2GB, 6 mini DisplayPort)
1600 SP
80 TMU
32 ROP
800-850 MHz core
1200-1300 MHz GDDR5
256 Bit
2x6 pin (Maybe 1x6 + 1x8)
TDP: 170-190 W
Idle: 27-30 W
40nm
338mm²
2.15 Billion Transistors