GTX 285 being detected as gtx260

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinscher

Fully Optimized
So ya I bought an evga gtx 285 today and when I booted up, after unistalling my old drivers, windows detected the card as a gtx260. I installed the latest driver from the evga website too. Is there a way I can fix this? Maybe flash the bios? I really don't want to go through an RMA with it already if I can avoid it.

I would suggest a removal of the drivers again. After removing the drivers run Driver Sweeper from Guru3D.

Then restart and Windows should not install any drivers and you should have a low resolution with bad colors. At that point install the latest set of drivers for the card from the nvidia site.

This should get Windows to install the proper drivers and recognize it properly.

Nice try but it didn't work. It is still a GTX260. I did some searching and found that you can flash the bios using nvflash but I am running win7 and that program doesn't support win7. Is there any other way to flash the bios? I have a feeling its my only chance before I have to begin the RMA.

You might be able to do it in VMware? Is there a option to maybe do it in DOS?

Nice try but it didn't work. It is still a GTX260. I did some searching and found that you can flash the bios using nvflash but I am running win7 and that program doesn't support win7. Is there any other way to flash the bios? I have a feeling its my only chance before I have to begin the RMA.

Have you tried any other programs to see if they detect the card correctly? GPU Caps Viewer and HardwareInfos would work. Try downloading and running a Linux LiveCD to see if that detects it correctly. If it does, it's a problem with the drivers/OS.

To flash outside of Windows, without having to install a separate OS :

Nvidia BIOS flashing - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

You might be able to do it in VMware? Is there a option to maybe do it in DOS?
Well I got the program to run in vmware but it just went through the list of commands in a cmd window and told me to hit enter to continue a bunch of times and once it lists all of the commands, it just closes the window. Not sure what the deal is there.

I have 0 experience in dos. I am pretty sure it can be done in dos but I would need somebody to walk me through it. I know you are godly with OSes so if you can help me here that would be much appreciated, if not, no worries.

Have you tried any other programs to see if they detect the card correctly? GPU Caps Viewer and HardwareInfos would work. Try downloading and running a Linux LiveCD to see if that detects it correctly. If it does, it's a problem with the drivers/OS.

I checked it with a trillion programs. It is definitely flashed with the wrong bios.

a gtx260... like i said, I have tried every program I know. EVGA precision tool, gpu-z, rivatuner, device manager, nvidia control panel. EVERYTHING sees it as a GTX260

Well I got the program to run in vmware but it just went through the list of commands in a cmd window and told me to hit enter to continue a bunch of times and once it lists all of the commands, it just closes the window. Not sure what the deal is there.

I have 0 experience in dos. I am pretty sure it can be done in dos but I would need somebody to walk me through it. I know you are godly with OSes so if you can help me here that would be much appreciated, if not, no worries.

I checked it with a trillion programs. It is definitely flashed with the wrong bios.

Looks like we posted at about the same time. I edited my post. There is a link on how to flash the BIOS through a bootable disk. Have you tried that yet?

Looks like we posted at about the same time. I edited my post. There is a link on how to flash the BIOS through a bootable disk. Have you tried that yet?

thanks for that.

I've been working at it for about 2 hours now. I must be doing something wrong. I got it to create the bootable cd with the nvflash on it but when I boot it, it boots up but says the cd-rom drivers won't load or something and then it just gives me a command line q:\ and nothing I type into here seems to do anything. I'm not sure what to do but its almost 3 in the morning so maybe I'll have another go at it tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom