Near complete newbie wondering if overclocking is feasible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Covarr

Beta member
Okay, here's the deal. I'm considering overclocking my CPU (Core 2 Duo E7300), but I have no budget for any new cooling equipment, so I'm stuck with all stock stuff. My question is, can I safely overclock my machine, and how far?

My specs are as follows:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E7300 2.66GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L
Case: Rosewill R220-P-BK
GPU: nVidia n9800 GT
PSU: Rosewill Stallion RD400-2-SB 400W
RAM: Transcend 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
all running at stock settings.

And here is what Core Temp tells me:
coretemp.png

I suspect this computer is already running a bit hotter than one with these specs normally would, because my air conditioning doesn't work very well and I keep it in a cabinet (and no, I don't leave it on when the cabinet is closed). Would it be feasible to overclock this machine at all without having to buy any new cooling equipment?

Thanks in advance.

You can overclock it yes, what are your reasons for overclocking, and when you're in game what are your temps? (provided you game)

You can OC it yes, but I coubt you can get very far with those stock temps+cooling.

I mostly want to overclock it to improve performance on various games. I already get pretty good performance in the things I play the most (Team Fortress 2), but I'm hoping to improve it to a consistent 60FPS at 1680x1040 with high settings, as well as to improve playback of HD video on youtube, as well as a few other full screen video sites, where I frequently get lag.

In TF2 it's going up to about 51C for both cores.

My house also doesn't have adequate heating, so in the wintertime I could probably get away with overclocking it pretty high (my house gets as low as 35-40F), but I wouldn't want a solution that only works four months out of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom