LCD Aging

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartech

In Runtime
I'm planning to buy additional LCD for my older PC. I need smething low end, and i found some nice good condition models (samsung 19") pretty cheap, but second hand, about 4 year old. I was about to buy it. But than some of my friends warned me thaat LCD panels begin to die after about 5 years of functioning.
I always thought it was better than CRTs and my last CRT (samsung 17) held up for almost 10 years.

Is it true that the LCD life is so short and i should never go for second hand???

-thanx

CRTs definitely last longer.

I wouldn't say you should never go for second-hand, but four years is a bit too much for me personally.

Definitely agree that CRTs last longer. I still have CRTs from the very first computers I've had, more than 10 years ago.

And 4 years is kind of old. Depending on how the person used it before, or if it's super cheap. But now a days new LCDs are pretty cheap. Less than $100 can get you a nice one.

My T.V. (52" LCD) has a lamp lifetime of 50000 hours, so roughly 6 years. By time your new LCD burns out, they'll be phased out, with something better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom