Bought new-ish computer that isnt running properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibetheelmo

Beta member
I'm placing this in a few of the forums because I'm not exactly positive where to put it.
So for my birthday the other day I got this computer...

Gateway - Desktop with AMD Athlonâ„¢ X2 Dual-Core Processor
# AMD Athlonâ„¢ X2 7750+* dual-core processor
For increased multitasking performance; improved security with Enhanced Virus Protection**; Cool'n'Quietâ„¢ Technology to minimize heat and noise.
# AMD dual-core technology
Enables you to work or play with multiple programs without impacting performance.
# 6GB DDR2 SDRAM memory
For multitasking power.
# SuperMulti DVD±RW/CD-RW drive
With double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL or DVD-R DL media. Supports DVD-RAM and Labelflash direct-disc labels using compatible Labelflash media.
# 512KB x 2 L2 cache memory for efficient system processing
AMD Balanced Smart Cache for a smooth multitasking and multithreaded experience.
# 640GB Serial ATA hard drive
Provides plenty of storage for your data.
# ATI RADEON HD 3200 hybrid graphics
With up to 512MB shared video memory and built-in HDMI port.

Now, when I go to websites like 'canyourunit.com' and such, it says this computer should be able to run games like Call of Duty 4 at maximum, registering my Ghz at about 11.34ish and video memory at almost 3gb....now I know neither one of those sounds right..but at the same time, I can HARDLY run Call of duty 4 (very slow) and other games like Section 8, and Divinity 2, and The Witcher and such also run slow at the lowest graphical settings... Is there any settings or such that I do to make the computer run properly? Because it doesn't sound like its working as good as it should.

You are running onboard graphics so you're not going to get great performance out of a graphically intense game, period. You may want to check to make sure your drivers are up to date as that may help, but it's not going to do a lot for you.

Post the model number of the computer and I'll see what I can find out for you.

You are running onboard graphics so you're not going to get great performance out of a graphically intense game, period. You may want to check to make sure your drivers are up to date as that may help, but it's not going to do a lot for you.

Post the model number of the computer and I'll see what I can find out for you.

Really? that sucks...
So...i'd have to buy a new graphics card?

Where would i find my model number?

NVm, its a DX4300

This is the latest drivers Gateway has posted for your graphics chip:
ATI Chipset/Video Driver - Vista 64

Since you only have a 300W power supply, you will be very limited as to what card you could use without upgrading your PSU as well.

The 3650 would work:
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100236L Radeon HD 3650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

For anything more powerful you will need a better PSU. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, mate.

wow...that sucks..my new 'gaming computer' i hoped to have...is not....dang..

It will play some stuff (older games, casual games) just fine, and newer stuff at lower settings. The PC companies lie through their teeth in their marketing crap.

Do you have a budget? Post it and we'll see what we can squeeze into it.

Same here, mate. Misery loves company, no? :D

Just update your drivers and drop the settings until you can play. You can always upgrade later. One of our mods played COD4 on his HD 3200 GFX, so I know it can be done. Hopefully Vern will see this and chime in sooner or later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom