Building a Computer, have issue with Hard Drive Power Connection (Pictures Inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

King$nake

In Runtime
Ok, so Im trying to finish up building a PC for my Dad. Basically my issue is I don't know if Im doing this right. There is only one Power Connector coming from my Power Supply with a Hard Drive/Optical Drive connection. The one power cord has two power connectors on it. Like this:

sata-hard-drive-power-cable-connector.jpg

The issue is that it won't reach from the DVD drive to the Hard Drive. Here is a picture (taken from my cell phone)

SATA.PNG

Is this the way it is suppose to be connected? Or should there be another power source for the HDD? It just doesn't make sense why they would make the two connector so close together?

Sorry, Im tired and my brain is mush. Hopefully I can get some help.

Thanks

Re: Building a Computer, have issue with Hard Drive Power Connection (Pictures Inside

Only one power cable for SATA devices?

What I would do right now, is move the HDD as close as possible towards the optical. Or if you can mount it somehow in the 5.25" bays.

From the pic, it looks like the HDD doesn't have a 4-pin molex connector, which you could of used. But most SATA hard drives now, don't come with them.

Re: Building a Computer, have issue with Hard Drive Power Connection (Pictures Inside

I tried moving the Hard Drive as close as possible, the connector is about 1/4" short, lol.

I also tried the Hard Drive in the DVD Drive Bay (directly below the DVD Drive) but the screw holes don't line up. I was only able to get one screw in, needless to say the HDD was flimsy and I didn't want to leave it there unless it was secure.

Im going to run to Best Buy and get a converter like this:

Sata_Cable.jpg

Oh ok.

yea, that converter would be your best bet then.

Thanks for the help man.

To me it looks like if you move the DVD drive to the bottom bay the connectors will reach.

dario's got a good point there.

Didn't even think about that.

Snap out covers. That would leave a hole for the top bay.

Yeah, the cheapest solution is just to move the hdd up two slots and the optical drive down a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom