Network problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

torndrk

Solid State Member
A couple of days ago Comcast disconnected my cable internet. Minutes later I payed the amount due and they told me to restart my computer and to power cycle both my wireless router(Linksys WRT54G ver. 6) and my cable modem(I've been through this procedure many times before). After 30 minutes I reconnected everything in the right order. Everything seemed fine except that it didnt connect to the internet. I've been through this before so I know that sometimes Comcast takes kind of long to connect the internet. So I decide to wait another day. The next day, still no luck. I decide to take matters into my own hand.

On my router, the POWER, WLAN, ETHERNET 1, and INTERNET lighst are all on(like they normally are). On my modem, the POWER, DS, US, ONLINE, LINK, TELEPHONE 1, TELEPHONE 2, and BATTERY 2 lights are on(again, like they normally are).

I called Comcast customer service and i went through the whole power cycle thing again to no avail. The tech told me to check the command prompt(ipconfig). He told me that my network was not identifying the connection. The tech told me that i was supposed to be receiving connection.

There are some strange things i noticed.
When I go to network and sharing center i see that my computer(USER-PC) is connected to the network(Network 3) but my network(Network 3) cant connect to the internet. When I click my network icon i see my computer along with the shared devices. The thing I find strange is that the WRT54G icon is missing. Everytime I wanted to disable the router, or when i wanted to view the device webpage i would go to this location. Now its not there.

When I access the routers webpage, I go to status-router and under ip address, it simply shows 0's.

Im running out of ideas and its driving me nuts. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

You may need to reinstall the router software. Uninstall first, restart, then re-install and see if that works.

have you gone into the modem and re-setup your connection info? To get the internet to go through the modem to your network you generally have to have all the setup info in the modem so it moves it through, generally if you power cycle your modem it clears all your data including the account info, so check on that.

have you gone into the modem and re-setup your connection info? To get the internet to go through the modem to your network you generally have to have all the setup info in the modem so it moves it through, generally if you power cycle your modem it clears all your data including the account info, so check on that.

I've done that power cycle before. When they disconnect my service they usually tell me to do it. This is the first time this happens to me

Thanks for all of your help.

Peter Cort's post got me thinking and thats how I fixed this problem.

Everytime I attempted to power cycle the modem it would only partially turn off. I had to take off the backup battery and wait a couple of seconds. Then I connected the modem directly to my computer and Voila! it connected. as for the router, It was just a matter of running a program called EasyLink Connect.
Just posting this for people who may have similar problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom