Choosing an AMD processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluepan

Beta member
I am building an AMD computer and I have everything picked out. However I am torn between two CPUs.

The first is: AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

The other is: AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor - Processors - Desktops

I need some input on which one is better for all-around gaming and multitasking.

I'm basically looking for the most bang for my buck. There is about a $20 difference in price between the two (the quad core is cheaper).

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Depends on which motherboard you are using.

I'd get the Propus if you don't have a board that can do Advanced Clock Calibration. Get the Phenom II X3 720 if you do have it, it can unlock the 4th core (possibly, but not 100%).

I'd prefer the Propus Athlon II X4 for $99 though.

the propus 620 and 630 are the same cpu, except that the more expensive 630 is clocked 200mhz higher stock. i wouldnt consider it since you can easily OC the 620 by 200mhz higher yourself.

If you game or multitask, you'd see more of a difference from the extra core than the extra cache.

I say get the 620, if you do decide on a board with ACC there's a chance you can unlock L3 cache. If you don't get a board with ACC, at least you'll have a quad, that newer games can take advantage of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom