Student - High end PC building

Status
Not open for further replies.
The final list -

There is a slight change of plan with the case, on the way to meadowhall ( a huge shopping center near me ) I went past PC world - yes i hate that place so much, but someone wanted something returning so went in.

I saw an awesome case that I looked at for a while on the net, and thought i'd have a look. Fell in love with it a bit, found it was cheaper than on the net anyway then asked a salesman about it...
"oh sorry, we're out of stock"
I asked about the one on display, he said uh oh, ok... and you can have 10% off as it's a display case and there is... get this ... one thumbscrew missing.

So i've not got myself a Cooler Master CM690.

The insides will be:

PSU:

Corsair TX 650W ATX SLi Compliant Power Supply (CMPSU-650TXUK)

Why: £20 cheaper than the 750w PSU. Supplied enough power for the graphics cards ( only using one at first anyway for now )

Motherboard:
Asus P6T Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard

Why: Supports both SLI and crossfire so I can decide later. Good reviews. Trustable brand. Space for 6 ram cards, and 8 sata ports.

Processor:
Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 2.66Ghz (Nehalem) (Socket LGA1366) - OEM

Why: System is built for i7, this is the cheapest. Could upgrade to 2.8Ghz for from 2.66Ghz another £25... may well do at the time ( much difference? )

Memory:
OCZ Reaper 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) Tri-Channel (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK)

Why: Long story, fair price for 6gb DDR3 ram. Can help with overclocking if ever I decide to.

Graphics card:
HIS ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024MB GDDR5 TV-Out/Dual DVI/HDMI (PCI-Express) - OEM (H487F1GP)

OR

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 260 896MB GDDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Card (Includes Batman: Arkham Asylum & 3D Discover Glasses)

Why: 1) reviews look good. I don't know much about graphics cards but specs look good. Fair price. Can eventually upgrade to two of these. No reviews saying the card runs really hot like some others.

Why: 2) Suggested by Muffin man who seems to know what he's talking about.

Hard drive: I have a SATA drive I intend to use till I get some money from selling the car then I will put in a SSD.

Case: Coolermaster CM-690 Dominator Case - Black (No PSU)

Bought for £48. Looks great. Fell in love with it,.. and saw some awesome images of modded ones which,..... eventually I may do.
Google Image Result for http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn241/bobbavet/CM690/CM690Razer.jpg

If my two graphics cards don't fit in. PC world promise a refund.

Anything I should change?

P.S The case is sat on my bedroom floor now. Looks great.

yes thats a good case, and you got it for a good price too, sweet.

everything else looks good. you should stick to the i7 920, and get the retail one not oem, as you ill need the cooler that the retail one has.
Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 2.66Ghz (Nehalem) (Socket LGA1366) - Retail

for the graphics card, either one of those will perform well. if you need to save money, get the 4870, but get this one instead.
XFX ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

i have to go atm.

Hey, I was so close to just buying that graphics card.
I like it and was looking at it for a while the other day, the only thing that put me off was a few of the reviews which made me think twice if ever i'm going to put another one in...

"3 stars because it gets very HOT! must say i am disappointed at how hot it gets. 70 c idle!"

and...

"A bit of a struggle to install it into a stock factory Packard Bell case and it cerytainly runs hot...HOT!
I just leave the side off my tower and enjoy tropical temperatures."

"Very long card, had to shift a HDD to fit it. Fan is loud on startup and when clocking, card runs ~70 idle so make sure you have a good air flow or pay extra for aftermarket cooler.
"

Hmm, a bit of a pattern going although they all say the card is awesome. I suppose If I just fill almost every fan spot in the case with 120mm case fans... and put some kind of graphics card cooler in......

EDIT:

Found the PSU for a bit less on ebuyer, with free delivery so took the offer up:
Corsair 650W TX Series PSU - 120mm Fan, 80+% Efficiency, Single +12V Rail - Ebuyer
Saved about £5 or £6, might aswel.
Now I have the case and PSU.

i find those reviews to be BS most of the time because you dont know what level of knowledge those people have, so that makes the legitimacy of the review questionable. the case you bought is big enough for even two cards, and it has adequate cooling, it comes with 3 case fans already, but you can add more if you want. like i said before, either card will be good.

thats fine with the psu, anywhere you can save helps i guess :p

and i forgot to mention in my post before cuz i was in a hurry, i think youre still missing an optical drive. if you are, this will do.
Samsung SH-S223B/BEBE 22x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) - OEM

everything else looks good.

Thanks for the help again muffin.
I have a dvd writer in the wreck of a PC that I have under my desk. I will use that only it is white,... a bit of a shame. I'm sure I saw somewhere you can by facias for them... if not... out with the old spray paint!

Uh oh, wow... am I right in thinking the asus board has no IDE connections at all?
( I hated them g'd things anyway.. master slave... blergh.. I just always guessed till it worked )

it does have an ide connection.
Asus P6T Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard

click on the mobo pic to enlarge the picture. the ide connection is the wide red/orange-y colored connection on the lower left of the mobo.

if you want some more assurance, heres the manuf.'s link.
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

scroll down to where it says "storage" on the left, and right across to the right, it says
"1 xUltraDMA 133/100/66 for up to 2 PATA devices", that is your ide connection.

thats cool then, i thought you'd forgotten. i dont even think you need spray paint. if youre real cheap like me, id just use a black sharpie marker :)

Processor:
Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 2.66Ghz (Nehalem) (Socket LGA1366) - OEM

Why: System is built for i7, this is the cheapest. Could upgrade to 2.8Ghz for from 2.66Ghz another £25... may well do at the time ( much difference? )

Stick with the i7 920. If you buy a good aftermarket heatsink later, the 920 will perform as good or better than the Top of The Line i7 975 cpu.

The new i7 860 runs at 2.8GHz but it only has a dual channel memory controller, which means you can overclock it all you want but it will never equal a i7 975 like the 920 can.

Some people will say the i7 860 and the dual channel memory controller is all you need for the applications available, but that doesn't mean it will run as well with future applications that are optimized for triple channel memory configurations.

XFX has a lifetime warranty on the card. As for temps, you will be cranking up the fan on the cooler (with our help) anyway, keeping your temps lower. ;)

Wow wow wow wow... just found out something awesome which is going to save me a fortune.

PKR - my home poker site, have just started accepting paypal.

So... at the moment i'm suffering the cacky exchange rate, withdrawing my money and getting robbed a bit of commission on the way, then... buying items in the £ which is currently strong vs the $.
Now.. I can send my money straight into paypal, which.. I can then use to buy things in $ rather than £ saving me both some money because of the exchange rate and some money on comission!

The first problem of course is,.. overclockers does not sell using paypal or in $.

So... I'm going to buy parts off ebay with the paypal buyer protection, should be ok.
Just a quick and important question, are there any compatability issues that I am going to need to be aware of?
Would this work?
BRAND NEW Intel Boxed Core i7 Processor 920 , 2.66GHZ - eBay (item 270418151810 end time Sep-27-09 19:42:14 PDT)

Is it exactly the same as the overclockers i7 processor?

Overclockers - £211
Ebay - $250 = £153.57 and saving about £15 on exchange rate.. about £70 cheaper!

The same with the motherboard etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom