Project Sestren Worklog - World's First Back/Outside Mounted Tri Loop Cube!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening everyone, and I am proud to bring you a glimpse today of whats to come for the Sestren build log.

I been working around the clock to improve everything that I can, and in the next few days, weeks. Expect a multitude of updates, I took to heart all your comments, from private messages, emails, and sponsorship feedback, and I hope to bring you the best possible build log.

So without further ado, I am bringing in a new section of the build log, for a few items, I will do a "parts review" showcasing" a special part of the build log, and expect all new updates on the normal build log, to be of the same quality. There will be less pictures per update, but the quality will be there. I will try to be as consistent as possible, and I will update as often as it makes sense to. I hope to bring a new standard of quality and will do my best. Mean while please continue all your feedback, as I really appreciate it.

Onward!

- PC1X1

SestrenBuildLogPartsReview.png

Enermax Magma Series: Twister Review

EnermaxReviewWatermarked1024copy.png

The Enermax Magma Twister

By: PC1X1

Enermax Technology Corporation, est. 1990 in Taiwan is known as a worldwide leader in engineering solid and powerful computer power supplies. Enermax also specializes in computer cases, peripherals and other accessories. Enermax provides OEM “Original Equipment Manufacturing” services for various other companies, who use Enermax's experience in the field to design and manufacture their own products. Enermax pools their vast Research and Development resources and ability to manufacture top components into their own line of products as well. With a reputation for quality Enermax is known throughout the enthusiast community as a reliable and solid company. Both in terms of their products as well as their outstanding customer support. With the same dedication that has made Enermax famous as power supply manufacturers, Enermax created the Magma line of computer fans.

EnermaxReviewWatermarked10242.png

EnermaxReviewWatermarked10243.png

EnermaxReviewWatermarked10244.png

In Motion

The Magma line is Enermax's answer to enthusiast cooling. Specifically the Magma UC-MA12, or Magma “Twister” fan is designed to be powerful; pushing close to 70 CFM at a top speed of 1500 RPM, yet still more importantly virtually silent. Pair the Twister with a fan controller, and you have a versatile, silent air mover. As most Enthusiasts have several fans in their computers, it's a welcome sight or in this case noise, that the “Twister” is barely audible even in stock form. In a rare best of both worlds, the Magma “Twister” has the oomph of a powerful fan; its batwing fan blades boost a 20-30% CFM improvement over traditional fans. Yet the “Twister” produces as much noise as a low rpm silent fan. This is possible to due to the “Twister's” unique and exclusive Twister Magnetic bearing technology, which makes the spinning bearing feel like it's literally floating in air. There are absolutely no signs of friction or movement from the bearing to the blades itself. The only small discernable sound is of the wind moving through its blade. With an 18 decibel rating, the “Twister” is significantly quieter than a normal human whisper, which is rated at approximately 30 decibels. When inside a computer case, you won't hear the Twisters at all.

EnermaxReviewWatermarked10245.png

Blade Showcase

So not only is the Enermax Magma Twister powerful, and quiet. It is also very attractive. A beautifully sculpted red tornado like blade hovers over a very densely black housing stand the “Twister” apart from normal fans. No cheap materials here. The plastic housing feels solid, but smooth and strong enough to withstand a fall. Yet it is still soft enough for your fingers to touch and search for its voluptuous curves. The Twister follows standard 120mm form factor and measures, 120x120x26.5mm. The materials and finish is top notch, with black being actual black and not a grey cheap plastic and that's only the fan housing itself. The “Twister” also boosts a removable striking red fan blade, which not only makes it a breeze to clean. Simply press outward from the back of the fan unit, unit the blade pops off for easy access. It is also a Modder's dream because nothing stops one's creative imagination on how to customize this fan. With ample access to its housing, and blade, feel free should you need to customize its color it to your heart's desire.

EnermaxReviewWatermarked10246.png

Angled View

EnermaxReviewWatermarked10247.png

Angled View 2

The Magma Twister comes with a long clear and attractive plastic sleeved cord that not only holds all the wires together as that make routing that much easier. It also feels very solid and of quality. Should you choose to customize the Twister further, its joined wiring makes it a breeze to sleeve with your own third party sleeving. Still even with such a repertoire the Twister keeps on giving, as the retail package comes with a 3 pin to 4 pin adapter, should you want to use the Twister as a CPU fan, as well as plastic anti vibration screws, that considerably drown out noise due to vibration. The Enermax Magma Twister is rated an impressive 100,000+ hours of operation, which will undoubtedly make the “Twister” outlast most of your other components. The Twister's are perfect for computer case, and cpu heatsink usage. The Twister also has an impressive 1.4 pressure rating, and can be used in conjunction with water cooling in radiator trim, however in extreme conditions it is not intended for radiators, and one should look further in Enermax's line up for that use.

EnermaxReviewWatermarked10248.png

EnermaxReviewWatermarked10249.png

Back View

The Enermax Magma Twister is bar none the best case fan available today. It's a solid build, which moves a lot of air but produces little to no noise. It's very attractive, black on red design and smooth textured materials make it a looker. Its removable blade is perfect for cleaning, as well as customizing. And comes with all the necessary accessories one would expect a high tier fan would have, such as anti vibration screws, and a 3 to 4 pin adapter. Enermax has been famous for its outstanding power supplies for years so it comes as no surprise that its fans follow the same trend. The only quibble one can have with this fan is the fact it's not free and being a premium fan, it carries a premium price. However the fact it's a performer and a silent one at that, makes the Magma Twister a real solid investment. In a society where one spends hundreds of dollars in components that will be replaced in the next two years, the Enermax Magma Twister will lively churn along for years to come doing its job well and being barely audible. Paying itself with your ease of mind as it's a solid product sold by a solid company.

The Enermax Magma Twister is highly recommended.

-PC1X1

You and everyone else including my sponsors, so much for skimping heh! :p. I personally don't find them that bad, but everyone and their mothers complained, so I am changing it, can't go into details, but it will be pretty epic :), and more expensive :eek:.

good choice :) some black mesh or wire would look much better IMO

Title: Quick Update
Date: September 22, 2009

Brief: Good evening guys, sit tight that the next update will come in a few days. I was unfortunately delayed due to dremel issues. I finally bought a dremel, and unfortunately it arrived dead. I have ordered a replacement and should be here by the end of this week. Since that happened, not to much progress, so expect the new update to come close to the end of September or early October. Again I apologize for the inconvenience, I am as inconvenienced as you guys, as I was hoping to have it assembled by now. The powercoating should be done early next week (after I get my dremel replacement, do a few mods, and then its off to powder coating, and then the update with the Red Cube. Sit tight, hang on ;), until next time! Meantime feel free to ask questions, etc. ;)

- PC1X1

Title: Parts Review, +Info!
Date: October 03, 2009

Brief: Good Evening Everyone, lots to do today! Before you scream "Bloody Murder" this log is becoming a Review Log, and not a work log! I'd say Halt. As work on the worklog is ongoing, and as I mentioned previously I have had to pause for a bit due to getting the Cube painted. First I had to wait for my dremel to arrive to do the mods, the dremel was DOA, got replacement, did the mods, and dropped it off at Fusion Powder Coating here in Sunny Florida, and am picking it up early week of Oct 4th - Oct 9th. And I will resume operations and do all updates with the worklog in the same manner and production as the parts review.

However so I am not standing idle, I decided to do some more Part's Review for you guys, this is where I show you a hands on impression of products I am using in my build. You will see it in the final product, when I actually get to the point in my build log that I use it, I will reference these, as my hands on impressions, and on the worklog it will be practical usage. So feel free to ask any questions as you may want to use these products yourself. Alot of things I use, I got ideas from other worklogs, so to make it easer for you, I have linked the products I am showcasing in these reviews in the Part's list. Big thanks for my partners in the build log, for providing, and helping obtain these items.

The Cube ended up being Powder Coated Mettalic Red, and Black, so its not a normal powder coat, I asked for and paid extra for Show Quality paint. Fusion Powder Coating, normally works with Automobile and Motorcycle parts so you can start imaging the outcome! I am anxious as you problably are now, and I will post the picture of the painted cube ASAP.

Expect another Part's Review tomorrow, and then I am done with reviews for a while, and then I will be working full time on the worklog, and hopefully, cross your fingers with me! I can obtain the rest of the parts and keep going. A factor that threw alot of things in the air, however is graphics cards. Right now its a race between 2x 295 GTX's and or 2x Radeon 5870x2s, and or 2x Fermi's. I am still evaluating all my options, and it will come down to performance and cost. As soon as I have a clearer decision, I will let you know. Also due to the recent price drops in SSD, they have now become viable options, and I will be using 4 solid state drives as my main OS drives, and I will send the Raid 0 Velociraptors into Programs/Data drives all powered by the 1680IX. Either way, its going to be very very fast.

I have updated the first page, with all full parts list, and will make a few more edits here and there, when I either have the items, or have a clear decision on using that item. However 99% of the time, anything that goes in the parts list, I own, or have already made an arrangement for it to come. As some items are custom, I can't 100% confirm their existence yet. Anyhow that's pretty much it for now, expect more constant updates, and much more content in the coming weeks (honestly in a couple of days even!). I will push as far and as intensively as I can. I hope everyone joins me in the struggle that is this work log. It took me 12+ Hours straight for this update to occur from start to finish!

I'd like to thank my producer, (Mom), and Logistics Director (Dad), as couldn't have gotten these pictures up without them. They also sign off layout changes, heh. Front page is officially done for now, go click on the first post again!

Thanks alot for checking out Sestren! And make your voice heard, if you like it, make your voice heard, or type here, as the more support, the more influence and reach I can push for. And be back soon, as in a matter of days, a certain red metallic comes home..... I am ready.

- PC1X1

Petra's Tech Shop: Smart Coils 5/8 OD Review

IMG_0108.png

IMG_0109.png

Smart Coils are twisting plastic strips that are used to cover tubing so it doesn't kink or bend itself thus obstructing waterflow while the tubing is bent at awkward angles. This is important because a single kink can drastically reduce waterflow. Smart Coils are generally specifically made for certain o.d, or outer diameter tubing. Today we are taking a look at 5/8 O.D Smart Coils from Petra's Tech Shop. Because Sestren uses external radiators it is imperative to make sure all the angles from the external radiator to the inside pumps do not kink. So Smart Coils are applied at certain sections to prevent that from happening.

You can apply smart coils by gently wrapping it around tubing that will be angled. It is interesting to note that alot of users use alot of Smart Coils to dress up their tubing, when it actually only needs to be applied to where the tubing is angled. Smart coils can be used sparingly. One doesn't need to use a large amount of Smart Coils. However since they denote a certain status quo and are generally attractive depending on the build, it is fun to put them all over the tubing. It won't hurt the computer in any way, just your wallet. Overall Smart Coils are pretty simple, put them where you want to prevent kinks and you are done, they are necessities in tight tubing bends, and generally inexpensive, so definitely pick up a few if you can and are water cooling.

Do note however, that there is a small drawback to Smart Coils, and it isn't their application nor the functions, when coiled they work perfectly. Their only con is really their resistance. They can be pretty brittle sometimes. Personally I am only acquainted with this type of Smart Coils, which can be bought from Petra's Tech Shop, so this may or may not happen to all Smart Coils. However it seems to be the norm. If you apply the coils with tubing already filled with water, or even if its dry but its connected to something if you are not careful while coiling you may break the coils. While they can certainly be put on and put off, if you are gentle and careful, they are also prone to break. So I highly suggest you apply the coils prior to the build, and only after your tubing is coiled up, then put it inside your computer. Failure to do so, can result in losing a perfectly good pair of smart coils, which I personally lost. You can check out in the first stages of this worklog on that one.

Overall I highly recommend Smart Coils, and pick up a few, just in case you break one. And specifically this one from Petra's Tech Shop, as it's inexpensive, does its job well, and when one of my coils was faulty, Petra's Tech Shop staff took care of it, and replaced it, and explained how to properly apply them. So it is highly recommend if you have areas in your water cooling set up that are prone to kinking, get yourself a pair of smart coils today.

Petra's Tech Shop: 4-Pin Molex Extensions Review

IMG_0111.png

IMG_0112.png

IMG_0113.png

Here we have ATX spec, the mother of all power connectors! The 4 Pin Molex. The 4 Pin Molex is an amazing combination of two grounded signals and a +5 Volts line and a +12 Volts line. They are the building blocks of computer and alot of hardware electricity. While the 4 pin molex has been superseded by the new and slim Sata Power Connectors, it still soldiers on as the quintessential computer power connector. And just because there are smaller and slimmer alternatives today, doesn't mean that there isn't alot of hardware that still uses the good old 4 Pin.

Coincidently it seems that the Wizards that are Hardware Engineers, have mostly made the 4 Pin Molex become the computer accessory connector. The Molex can still be used to power Hardrives, and other core computer parts, however as I mentioned Sata Connectors are better at that task, and some hardrives are even phasing out the 4 pin females. So you may ask, What is the 4 Pin instead is perfect for? Well basically everything else. Every single computer accessories you can think of. From Cold Cathode Lights, to that cool little Bay thingie that glow and you have no idea what it does, to water pumps, and everything else, is based on the good old 4 Pin Molex. Because it still a very versatile connector. It is universally used and thus has a large market penetration, and is highly mod-able, or customizable. Not to mention, motherboard manufacturers have also been using the 4 Pin as a power supplant to high end motherboards.

Basically the 4 Pin Molex isn't going anywhere. So we have the gear that needs it, but in the quest of organized wiring, it is a bit cumbersome. The main problem with a 4 Pin Molex, is the same as DVI to HDMI, it does the same thing as its alternative. However it is bulky, and unattractive. Worst yet you need to route distances in your case, that can't be reached by the cables that come with your motherboard! However don't be discouraged because again our friends at Petra's Tech Shop, have what we need.

*Please note that the pictures above are of the product that is being reviewed, however that product as since been upgraded with a male and female black connector, and has been resleeved with a third party sleeving to achieve that look. You cannot purchase a Extension in that condition, you have to sleeve it yourself!

Basically you have two choices, either buy a standard extension that does not come sleeved or buy one that is. Unfortunately I have already sleeved all my extensions, and thus do not have any recent photos on how they looked prior to be sleeved, you may check the beginning on this worklog to see all I went through to sleeve them! It was a alot of work, but I had a solid foundation with Petra's Tech Shop Extensions. Petra's Tech Shop offered various sizes, and all of high quality. After spending thousands of dollars in accessories for Sestren, I needed dependable extensions, and I am highly satisfied with what I got from Petra's Tech Shop, just be prepared to do alot of custom work yourself to reach this level of quality.

However the original extensions that came pre-sleeved weren't bad at all. In fact, they were of much better quality then I imagined. The stock that I got was from OK Gear, and was basically that, OK looking. It wasn't a custom sleeved job, but it wasn't a hack job either, it worked, and seemed to be using a derivative of PET Sleeving. So if you want to sleeve your cables and do not want to do it yourself, I highly recommend these, and if you want to do it yourself, be sure to buy the bare extensions, and then do the custom work yourself. For references on how to actually sleeve it and for pictures of the tools needed to custom sleeve your wires, check the beginning of this worklog.

Petra's Tech Shop: 3-Pin Fan Extensions Review

IMG_0114.png

IMG_0115.png

IMG_0116.png

Following the same principles as the 4-Pin Molex, albeit specifically tailored for 3 Pin fan, these extensions are made to route those ever growing fans from your case right to your power supply. Basically the same Review applies to these 3 Pin Extensions, they work as advertised come in various sizes, and when sleeved look great! You can purchase them at Petra's Tech Shop either sleeved or non sleeved, and they are very inexpensive. They carry all volts needed by your fans, and I checked each of my extensions with a volt meter to ensure consistency. Like I mentioned before, I highly recommend them as a way to route your computer cables so your computer is more aesthetically pleasing and as a way to increase space and airflow inside your case. Highly recommended, especially if you have 30+ fans like I do.

Petra's Tech Shop: Petra's Gel Stuff! Review

IMG_0117.png

IMG_0120.png

Here is Petra's Gel Stuff. Some unknown squishy substance that is used to reduce pump vibration and thus reduce noise. And the question is does it work? And the short answer is yes it does. Did I mention it is squishy? Do not eat... So when you aren't playing with Petra's Gel Stuff, or wondering what heck is this thing made of? You may want to put it under your pumps, and then clamp them down to apply a small amount of pressure. The pump then sits on the Gel Stuff like a cradle as it forms itself around the pump. So motion and kinetic energy from the pump is dispersed through a large surface area. And since the Gel Stuff, is tangible, or in lame sense terms squishy, the vibration tends to echo less. This is specially important in Aluminum cases, that are more prone to noise from pump vibrations.

So basically as the name implies, it some sort of gel, and reduces noise and works wonders. Sestren, is very large, so very prone to pump echoes, and the gel stuff takes care of that better than the standard sponge that came with the pumps. Gel stuff is inexpensive and easy to apply, so if your having some pump noise due to vibration (not pump whine) then definitely be sure to check out the Gel Stuff. Due note though, that the Gel stuff does turn greenish, and seems to be prone to breaking apart easily, so do not be surprised to change your Gel Stuff after a few uses in your water cooling system. There is a low light picture above deliberately showing the wear and tear of a lightly used Gel Stuff. Aside from turning green, it works great, and is highly recommended.

Now just to figure out what this stuff is made from? Also did I mention Do not eat it!

Petra's Tech Shop: Wire Management Clips Review

IMG_0122.png

Today's specimen is Wire Management clips or the building blocks of any organized and routed case. Aside from the original, aka. Zip ties, Wire management clips are your best friends, in routing your cables. By routing your cables, you are making you computer more aesthetically pleasing, increasing its airflow be decreasing the surface area of wires that can impede airflow. These are very small clips that can route wires around. They are strong and well built and feature a very strong adhesive base. Unless forcefully pulled, they will remain in place. A lesson learned when I stripped Sestren again for painting at the painful cost of 30 clips. Generally one would want to put the clips in angles that they are not seen, to give that illusion of no wires.

Since these particular clips are small they are by far the best for routing 3 Pin Fan cables. I use them alot through Sestren, and they can be used for various applications. Pro Tip: Put one with the hook face up, and then the next one with the hook face down, and you have just created a physical lock for the wiring! So be sure to experiment with all the combinations. Personally I would recommend a mix between various Wire Management Clips, being these are the smallest and thus most versatile ones, a few bigger ones, and some usesage of Zip Ties. And you too can achieve that clean wiring look. While cable routing is tedious and mostly a painfully frustrating process, the end result is clear. It makes it easier to management and upgrade your components. Makes your computer more pleasing, and gives you that satisfaction of OCD organization.

I have searched high and low for the best clips, I mean I have 30+ fans, Pumps, and 500 ft of sleeved wiring in there! And these were the only inexpensive ones I could find at this size. The glue sticks well, a little to well! Pro Tip #2: Use Goo Gone to remove the residue! And you have yourself the best foundation for an organized and clean build. Also feel free to color them, I will be painting them Black soon!

MNPCTech: T-Shirts and Grill Cut Outs Review

IMG_0126.png

Ever wanted to look stylish while modding? I mean you pay popular companies to wear and advertise their logos in your clothing! So while not pay for the hobby you love?! Enter the MNPCTech T-Shirt. The only T-Shirt that add Megahertz to your overclock. *Note: This claim is not verified by any credible source, and should not be taken seriously.... or should it? The shirt is standard Fruit of the Loom, silk screened t-shirt, and most likely will shrink a little after a wash. However it is very well done. The front sports the MNPCTech logo, while the back has a awesome cut out of a computer case being modded. More pictures of the back of the T-Shirt in the next installment. So whenever your feeling fly, and or need to be inspired by modding. Check out this great T-Shirt. It feels good, as its a standard good old Fruit of the Loom T-Shirt, but most importantly finally advertises something you love. So you can be different from everyone else, and become alienated in your own hobby. Also makes great PJ's. I may or may not pick up girls, not enough testing has been done on that segment yet. More research required.

Aside from the styling shirt, we have here radiator grill cut outs that can be used from testing fitting certain non existing custom grills for a certain build log. To actual modding of your case. Do you want to add holes to add a internal radiator to your case? Well look no further, as these are perfectly cut to simulatate actual Radiator size. So one can add a grill and or radiator with ease. Simply press these guys down and draw with the pencil an outline, or if you have the disposable income, buy several and simply use them as stencils for your projects. Either way they are great helpers to any modding project involving radiators. Highly recommend, and I would pick up a few, as their only drawback is that they are flimly, and easily belt, stepped on, or eaten by your family pet.

MNPCTech: The Modder's Tool Box, Zip Ties, Mounting Tape, Dremel Discs, C-Molding, Carbor Fiber Film

IMG_0129.png

IMG_0131.png

IMG_0132.png

IMG_0133.png

IMG_0135.png

So what happens when the mod your are building, has wheels, pseudo carbon fiber, is water cooled, has radiators, needs heat disapation, and has the capacity for 2000 kilowatts? And is not a car? Well then you have Sestren, or specifically a mod. And to actually implement these mods, I need my good old trusty tool box. Here's a short review of some items I will be using on Sestren. Since alot of these items are fit and finish trim pieces, obviously I cannot use them in their practical purpose, however I can provide a first hand review, on their form and functions, and I will expand this later when Sestren is in the Fit and Finish phase.

First we have the Zip Ties, like the previous review on Wire Management Clips, Zips Ties provide the foundation or basis for your wiring. These Zip Ties are standard fair, strong, durable, easy to use, and come with very good adhesive bases, as you can see in the picture. These are perfect for large wires, that will not fit in a management clip, i.e. 24 Pin ATX Power Supply Cable. However the most astonish fact on these MNPCTech zip ties? The kit is extremely cheap, cheapest place I found for these particular ties by a long shot. They are very dense black, and attractive, while the base has a nice contour. Plastic is problably ABS plastic, but is sturdy. Overall when used properly they are your best wiring friends.

Next up we have Mounting Tape, this is a Scotch brand, which you can also pick up inexpensively at MNPCTech. I tried to find a comparison in Home Depot/Lowes, but was unable to find one. Obviously this package is still shrink wrapped, so I have not put it in practical use, however 3M is basically the industry standard on adhesives, they invented quite a few of them. So I wouldn't expect any less than a great product. So for practical purposes, I turn to MNPCTech's own website owner, Bill Owen who claims this is the "Tape from the Gods". And since Bill Owen, is a pro modder, and owner of MNPCTech, I take his word very seriously. You can also check out a video on how to make a floating window, that gave me lots of ideas on doing a few things for Sestren. The tape can also be used to apply Wiring Management Clips, that have had their backtape ripped out. Anyhow 3M makes good stuff, couldn't find an alternative for comparison, and the price is pretty good. So if you need to mount something I would take a look at this tape. I will post more impressions when I am using it in Sestren at a later date.

Which leads us to Dremel Discs, or another Modder's foundation tool; the dremel. Since computer cases hold micro..etc components, cases aren't very big at all. Although Sestren would disagree with the norm, computer cases are generally small. So you need a small and precise tool. For cutting thin steel and aluminum, one would be hard pressed to find a better tool like a dremel. However just as you need the dremel to make the cut, the dremel needs its own accessory to actually implement the cut. And here is the Dremel Discs. These Discs are specifically made of Aluminium Oxide, and thus are more resistant and don't heat up. The best part, they are made specifically to cut metal, so with the right tools, anyone can do the job.

It does take alot of patience and safety precautions, as one should always wear safety googles, work in a well lighted, and ventilated area, and read all pertaining manuals. You may be asking? Ok so its a circular disc, so what? It is a circular disc, but it is without a doubt the best disc I have used to cut aluminium with. The sweet spot I found is 25,000 or higher RPM on your dremel, and light touching the surface. Don't force your way as you will wear out the discs faster. However the best quality I found on this disc, is the fact it did not heat up or warp my Aluminum chassis. As you can imagine, I am cutting through the motherboard frame, completely anxious, because if I screw it up, I can't buy one at a store, as I modded the plate to be removable. I would basically have to buy another Lian Li 343B, so I was extremely happy, that the discs not only worked, but made my job easer, and clean. This was my first time using a dremel, and it was pretty simple, be sure to check out MNPCTech's videos on how to use a dremel as they were great intros on what I was getting into. My only complaint with the discs is that they wear out fast, however it could have been due to my inexperience. I did talk to Bill Owen, on tips and why the discs wore out so fast as its became almost half size from only one mod, (the smaller one in the pictures is the one used). And Bill basically told me, I applied to much pressure, and I don't doubt him, as I originally out of fear, started out at 5,000 RPM, and kept moving up. As I gained confidence on the discs, and noticed they were working exactly like they should, I upped, until I found 25,000+ rpm to be the best. Overall great discs and got the job done, you will be able to see the results from the mod, when the cube comes back from powder coating. Also save your smaller and used up dremel discs for more delicate cuts, so even used they can still be reused for greater value!

So after cutting the motherboard tray, I wondered what could I use to make this finish more profesional, I had already sanded it down. And again MNPCTech had the answer, C-Molding. Or U Molding as they call it, but I call it C Molding. Pro Tip: If it bothers you that I call it C-Molding, while reading this tilt your head to the right and its now a U. So while my cuts onto the motherboard tray for routing are currently secret, the molding is not. I put it on there to test, and it worked perfectly. Its made of a good feeling plastic, i.e. doesn't feel uber cheap, and is very dense black colored. Overall it will fit with the theme and augment the finish on Sestren. It is great molding, and you will see the results when the cube is painted. If you need to make any dremel cuts and want to avoid cuts from where you modded with your dremel or other tools that leave the area a little sharp. C-Molding is the tool for the job.

So I have my mod done, everything is ready, I am building almost a car, I figured, what's left to get? Enter Carbon Fiber Film. This pseudo Carbon Fiber appplique can be used to augment your computers aesthetic looks. Because honestly, almost no one has real carbon fiber in their car, let alone their computer. And since our computers aren't going anywhere, at least not normally aside from Lan Parties, weight does not matter to much. At least not in small components, so real expensive carbon fiber would be of little to no use. However let's be honest, it still looks cool, and expensive. And adding lights to a computer is just aesthetics, so why not add some carbon fiber trim for that F1 look? The Carbon Fiber film looks great, infact its very close to real carbon fiber. So while using it alot may make people think your are "ricing" your computer, the same can be said for LEDs. So use it sparringly, and it can definitely give your computer a unique look. Its made of very high quality film, is again pretty affordable, and best of all, doesn't leave any gunk while applying it or removing it. So you can use it on your mouse, keyboard, or inside your computer. The possibilities are endless, and since Lian Li gave Sestren some pseudo carbon fiber on its top front, I will accent the insides sparingly and tastefully with it, stay tuned to see it in actual application!

Hopefully these reviews gave you guys some insight on what I choose what I choose, and what I learned while building this computer. Be sure to ask any questions, and most of all, go out there and build your own worklog!

Thanks for reading! No seriously it was pretty long!

Until next time, stay tuned as actual parts are coming in through the magic that is MAIL! Talk to you later!

Be sure to support great passionate stores, like Petra's Tech Shop and MNPCTech, they aren't gigantic major corporations, but enthusiasts like me and you, that share the same passion for computing. Give them a call, mention this worklog, mention your love for computing, as both Alex, Quoc, at Petra's Tech Shop, and Bill Owen at MNPCTech were super nice enough with me, in both making sure I got my orders right, and answering any questions about my project in their respective fields, and hence I want to repay their favors. Major thanks and kudos to them both, and its the sole reason I choose to work with them for Sestren, it's their customer service, and attention to our community.

I am out!

- PC1X1

Title: Quick Update
Date: October 04, 2009

Brief: Some grills are arriving today, with more to come a bit later, so yes I can confirm at this point. Due to popular demand, I changed the reactor grills, heh. So we'll have some pictures of those and a review soon. Aside from that I am just waiting for confirmation to pick up the cube. I should be picking it up Tuesday, so expect an update on the build log, with actual work on the cube, Wednesdays or Thursday. I'll work on condensing the reviews for next time. Thanks and check back soon to see the red cube, we are almost there, I can confirm its painted! Talk to you later!

- PC1X1

Just a quick FYI, It's either Petra's Tech, PTS, or just Petra's.

I'm very good friends with the owners. In fact I'm going to an air show with one of them in about 2 weeks.

Just a quick FYI, It's either Petra's Tech, PTS, or just Petra's.

I'm very good friends with the owners. In fact I'm going to an air show with one of them in about 2 weeks.

Your right, are you friends Alex or Quoc? I have bugged them both many times :cool:. ? It's paired association, I added water hehehe, I shall hopefully fix it someday, heh! Although loops hole, it is indeed Petra's Name and its their water tech!!! Hahaha, sorry trying to find some way to not have to edit all those posts hehe!

Say hi to them for me, and tell them you saw this log, and that its awesome, and you like it, ;)

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom