PC Boot/ Reboot issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

markhill

Solid State Member
I have a Dell Dimension 9200 running vista.

I am having a problem with random reboots. No blue screens, the system properties are set not to reboot and display the error when there is a problem. But it still restarts sometimes after a few mins of use other times will last upto a few hours and I have no error logs for this issue.

Once its rebooted it seems to fail to even reboot correctly…starts as if it's going to power on then shuts down as if there isn't enough power to get it going. Then cycles round like this…PC will eventually boot after a number of attempts but is then problematic until I switch off for a while.

I have tested running 512mb … 1gig, 2 gig and 3 gig memory….The only other things I can think of is a graphics card issue or over heating?

I am thinking a power supply issue here but don't have any spares to test this…before I buy a new one can anyone suggest anything I can try to diagnose this a little better?

I would check the inside of your case to ensure all of your fans are running and dust free. Then I would get a program like real temp to check temperatures.

Might need to reinstall the OS. This happens a lot where I work and we usually just re-image the machine and it works fine. If not then it's probably a hardware issue.

Before you reformat make sure it isn't hardware. Otherwise you'll destroy all of your data. Run UBCD and do memory tests. Also, test the power supply; faulty ones will generally cut power just long enough to shut down the pc.

Edit: You can pick up a power supply tester pretty cheap. It will tell you not just if it's good or bad, but what is good or bad... that is if you even care about what's causing the problem since the solution would be to buy a new one anyway.

Normally if your PC is totally shutting off it's caused by 1) Heat. As in your cpu is reaching it's thermal limits and shutting down to prevent damage or 2) The Power Supply is weak or dying or it's getting hot and shutting down or lastly/rarely 3) The mobo is overheating (usually the mobo will become erratic and blue screen with various errors).

Edit: download HWMonitor and post a screenshot of all the values shown :D
HWMonitor

I have a Dell Dimension 9200 running vista.

I am having a problem with random reboots. No blue screens, the system properties are set not to reboot and display the error when there is a problem. But it still restarts sometimes after a few mins of use other times will last upto a few hours and I have no error logs for this issue.

Once its rebooted it seems to fail to even reboot correctly…starts as if it's going to power on then shuts down as if there isn't enough power to get it going. Then cycles round like this…PC will eventually boot after a number of attempts but is then problematic until I switch off for a while.

I have tested running 512mb … 1gig, 2 gig and 3 gig memory….The only other things I can think of is a graphics card issue or over heating?

I am thinking a power supply issue here but don't have any spares to test this…before I buy a new one can anyone suggest anything I can try to diagnose this a little better?

it's most likely a heat issue.. Fans are not working properly and computers are smart enough to shut down to avoid overheating. If it's a memory issue you should see the bsod..

Hello..........

Thank you all for the help above.
Things are getting worse now... I havent spent much time on this as been busy with work....but...

Now the system is booting up and then switching off either while booting or a few mins once windows in logged. I have blasted the fans and inside with a air duster can and all seems fairly clean.

I will spend some time over the weekend getting some more info as the points above and repost once I have some more detial

Thanks for you assistance again

Mark

Hello..........

Thank you all for the help above.
Things are getting worse now... I havent spent much time on this as been busy with work....but...

Now the system is booting up and then switching off either while booting or a few mins once windows in logged. I have blasted the fans and inside with a air duster can and all seems fairly clean.

I will spend some time over the weekend getting some more info as the points above and repost once I have some more detial

Thanks for you assistance again

Mark

By the way, the last time i had the same problem with my PC, i had to changed the power supply, having found out that it was defective.. It work well after that.. You may look into that as well..

Ok.........still having issues....
Ran the MS Memory tests from boot and this reported no issues...

I have the below test for heat... is this normal???

Value Min Max
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
Core#0 24C 23C 31C
Core#1 23C 22C 30C

Geforce 7900GS 45C 45C 45C

HDD 23C 20C 23C

Think i need to get hold of some spares here... to test the power supply/Video card..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom