Worklog: Orange55

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, part II of the fiberglass saga…here the drive covers are sanded down, primed and sanded again:

Picture219.jpg

The primer makes it a lot easier to spot the problem areas that need more work, you can see some low spots here, for now just getting the holes plugged, then will worry about everything being levellevel:

Picture223.jpg

And here in the top of the front panel that I'm also putting a little filler in, there was a horizontal groove there that I didn't like. Trying to get as sleek a look as possible...minimize lines. Lol, you can see the evidence of some aggressive sanding there.

Picture224.jpg

As you can see, atleast one if not two more coats of short strand to go…but it's starting to come together!

Picture227.jpg

Bit of a teaser shot here, took this a few days ago before spraying some random primer…that's with the 22mm orange LED vandal resistant Delrin switch from performance-pcs and a conduit tubing end I got from mnpctech.com a while back, have a bunch of those lying around from a bulk order, they don't sell them anywhere that I can find locally here in Canada so I order a bunch at a time. The switch I had leftover from a previous build, trying to keep it cheap, chances are I won't have a need for another orange switch for a long while:

Picture172.jpg

Next is to finish the fiberglass work and put some holes in the mobo tray for wire management. Unfortunately updates will probably be coming slower and slower now that school has started back up....I celebrated a bit prematurely last april, my courses were done but my independent project, the last component of my masters of science, still remains, I have a year to complete it and just started this past week. It's going to be getting most of my attention going forward...bah, this sucks.

But the thesis projects are the easiest part... Masn... I drank coffee and played bf1942 for atleast 40% of my time... :D

Lol, nice....and that might have been the case. Except I'm doing this while working a 9-5pm job and trying to keep my kids alive (I've reduced parenting to that one requirement now). It just gets all too crazy together.

Lol, nice....and that might have been the case. Except I'm doing this while working a 9-5pm job and trying to keep my kids alive (I've reduced parenting to that one requirement now). It just gets all too crazy together.

Well, well....... I had a dog... and and a bar full of expectant drunkians waiting for me...........

Ah well, Youll find it'll be manageable, or atleast not too scary...

Looks real nice. How do you guys do this stuff?

Lol, you might have to be more specific...do you mean:

The computer mods? Well, just read and duplicate, I started by just watching what others did and just trying it myself.

The schooling? Usually a lot of prayer, cramming and sheer desire to defy my wife who's always telling me to quit :p

The kids? Well, the box only says 99.99% effective...someone needs to be that 0.01% :D I can go into more details for you but I think it's a PG14 forum....I might even have some pics to help with the mental imaging ;P

Ok, lots of work done…not a lot of photos. Took some educated guesses at where the cables will run from online photos of her mobo and then cut some holes in with the drill and hole saw+dremel+hand filing. I extended the hole at the PSU cable output in order to fit all the cables behind the mobo panel, try and keep this as clean as possible, poor cable management is pet peeve of mine.

Picture236.jpg

Anyways, that's it for now but took a while to do with the filing and such.

nice work on the filling stuff, what kind of bondo was it that you used?

Some short strand fiberglass:

Bondo Body Filler | Canadian Tire

Find it works better than the bondo putty, more flexible without cracking, have never had a problem with it. Usually two to three coats depending on how intricate the shape. The first coat will leave small crevices that can be filled with a second coat. That second coat will usually leave some small pinhead holes that I use this stuff for:

Bondo Ultimate Body Filler | Canadian Tire

This stuff is more expensive by weight and for larger jobs I find it doesn't shape or bend as well under stress...but is very smooth so good for the small holes.

Allright, I've been putting it off but time to do the window. Used some spare acrylic I had from another build, using the crazy tape of the Gods I used a few very small pieces to hold it in place and drill holes as needed through the existing holes in the side panel…then tapped them.

The tap:
Picture447.jpg

The hole:
Picture439.jpg

The bolt:
Picture441.jpg

These will need to be painted orange I believe:
Picture451.jpg

Anyways, that's it, just a quick update as I'm pretty much shut down right now while I tile the basement this week. Next on the to do list is the etch of "55" and then some custom feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom