XP log on

Status
Not open for further replies.

lev2323

In Runtime
I have Win XP Pro...I just reformatted my cpu (SP2 ate some drivers) and put XP back on (no SP2). OK, so I go in to the user accounts thing and the onlt accounts that are showing are the guest and mine (named with my name). I made the guest disabled and mine password protected. But, when I start my comp, it goes through the logon screen and into windows. It is like it is auto logging me on...I dont know how to fix this. Please help me out.

Go to Start/Run, and type 'control userpasswords2'.
From Users Tab, check "Users must enter ...."
A dialog will allow setting a user and password to be used automatically

I have Win XP Pro...I just reformatted my cpu (SP2 ate some drivers) and put XP back on (no SP2).
That was pretty dumb. Just for a couple lost drivers? SP2 isn't 100% bad. It isn't even 30% bad. You should have tried to work with it a little, maybe download new drivers...?

The number of people who just automatically throw their hands up is sickening. :mad:

I did, I thought I had it working, but the problem reoccured...it messsed video card drivers...I spent a whole weekend on this. ATI had no idea how to fix it, and needless to day, neither did mircosoft. SO NO, I did not just throw up my hands...have a little faith in ppl.

ATI had no idea how to fix it, and needless to day, neither did mircosoft.
Did you try talking to the card's manufacturer? Not ATI, the people who actually made the card. There are often isolated querks between mf's on the same card.

What's the g-card? Mobo? Throw us some specs.

The specs are all in my sig as they always have been: so sapphire is the card maker and yes i called them...and there is a "querk" and ati knows about it...they have an article on their site about the problem i had...they had no answer, but said they are working on it...i am not gonna wait weeks before I can play games...

The specs are all in my sig as they always have been
Not everyone puts the specs of the exact machine they're working on in their sig. If you're like me, or any of the countless other users of this forum, it's likely you have more than one box. It's not uncommon for forum posters to be talking about one box, and have another in their sig. I try not to assume everything.

so sapphire is the card maker and yes i called them...and there is a "querk" and ati knows about it...they have an article on their site about the problem i had...they had no answer, but said they are working on it...
You didn't say ATI knew about the problem already. All you said was "ATI had no idea how to fix it". Not knowing is different from "know and not supporting yet."

That's kinda strange. Your ATI card isn't old or unusual. We have a bunch of different cards here at work, from really old to really new, ATI's and NVIDIA's, as well as a bunch of custom pieces. We ran into minimal (and fixable) problems with all our cards, and the only ones we had to restle with (a little) were our custom cards which needed rewritten scripts in some cases.

Looks like you got the shyt end of the stick this time, buddy.

Sorry I crashed on ya, but so many times I see people run into problems and just say "Shyt, it's microsoft, fyck it!" without ever doing any work. It's mostly unwarranted, not to mention idiotic, so I get a bit fuming sometimes.

I can kinda feel yer pain, though. When I bought one of the first geforce3 cards, way back when...it was getting creamed by my ancient Rage-Fury-Pro with a quarter of the RAM and nowhere near the speed. I was pyssed, especially when I found out it was because the chipset I had wasn't compatible anymore (due to arguments between NVIDIA and VIA). Fortunately, the problem was fixed three months later with a driver update...but still.

:confused:

Ya, no problem dude,...thats ok, I know where you are coming from, I was really hopeful about SP2 and said to myself, I can't believe it is that bad. And when I had problems, I said, wow, ati is messed up,...it wasnt until I had wiped the old drivers and installed new updated ones multiple times that I realized that SP2 keep making the prob come back. So I understand your inital reaction...but I have a pretty good background in pcs, and formating is the last thing I would ever do...that is why I spent a whole weekend trying to fix it without formating....10 gigs of music lost, all my games lost, everything!!! Thanks for the posts folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom