Student - High end PC building

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol, you are giving me too much credit >.<

for that kind of money, these would be a good start, i would never buy a dell over building myself :)

Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 2.66Ghz (Nehalem) (Socket LGA1366) - Retail
Biostar TPower Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 260 896MB GDDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Card (Includes Batman: Arkham Asylum & 3D Discover Glasses)
OCZ Reaper 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C7 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel (OCZ3RPR1600LV6GK)
Corsair TX 750W ATX SLI Compliant Power Supply (CMPSU-750TXUK)

that would leave you with a little over £300. that would still be enough for a good case, optical drive, hdd, and most likely an ssd too.

you would be fine with that setup for a good while with room to upgrade. even though 6 gigs would be plrenty, you could add 6 more gigs in the future. that setup is also sli ready, so if one graphics card just doesnt cut it later on, you can add another one.

water cooling is not really necessary, unless you want to do some real high end OCing. then again if you just want to spend some money it doesnt hurt, but a good kit isnt cheap, and i personally dont know how easy or hard it would be, ive never done it, most likely not too complicated though. there are members here who have gone over 4ghz on air with great stability, so even if you are OCing its not necessary.

+ 1

This rig owns eBay one

Hmm, after finding this on ebay I might be swayed to buying it....

GALAXY 3 PC INTEL I7 920 500GB DDR3 12GB 9500GT 1GB on eBay (end time 06-Sep-09 23:33:22 BST)

What do you think?

Better to build one?

That guy fails like so hard... 12GB of RAM is really 12,288 MB not 12,000, and he multiplied the Clock Speed by the amount of Cores (and the extra threads).

And the GPU just wreaks along with the PSU.

Got a bit excited and have withdrawn a load of money from my poker before selling my car.
:) just waiting for it to come through now.

I have chosen a case for it,
Antec 900 Nine Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case - Black (No PSU)

I was reading reviews of the graphics card though, says that it is huge, if I was likely to put another one in, in the future... would it be such a good idea to have such a large card?
Will it fit in that case? It should do,.. but just wanted to make sure.

I'm going to buy all them parts some time in the next week or so... Only thing i'm missing from what I really want is a solid state drive,.. which, I will do some time in the future.
Thanks again for all your help!
Steve

I know very little about graphics cards, but was wondering what the difference between the GTX 260 and HIS ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024MB GDDR5 TV-Out/Dual DVI/HDMI (PCI-Express) - OEM (H487F1GP) is.

Just thinking about the size, and the reviews. Any ideas?

thats a good case, and the card will fit. even if you get 2, youll still have good room, dont worry. i would just stick with the gtx 260 i had listed.

also, switch to this ram instead, because i didnt see that the other set i had listed isnt in stock.
Patriot Viper 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz) Low Latency Tri-Channel (PVT36G1600LLK) + 3D Mark Vantage Benchmarking Software

so then, youd be missing an optical drive and hdd, so you can get these
Samsung SH-S223B/BEBE 22x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) - OEM
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (WD6401AALS)

and you mentioned that you also want an ssd, so this ones good.
OCZ Vertex Series 60GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive (OCZSSD2-1VTX60G)

so with ram change and the addition of the case, optical drive, hdd, and ssd, it should come out to under £1000

Thanks again for your advice!
I have a dvd rw in this old PC that I was given, along with a wireless adapter I might aswel put in. I'm really lookin forwards to the money coming through so I can order this stuff! I am going to buy the exact set up you've mentioned here, from overclockers... the only changes are that I might not buy a static state drive till i've sold my car and I will put the cacky dvd/rw thats in the old comp in it until I eventually buy a blu-ray ( if they ever actually take off ).

I've just ordered some parts off ebay to upgrade the old computer I was given....
Another 512 mb of ram ( tripling what it has at the moment )... for £5, and an upgrade for the processor from a AMD 1800 XP to a AMD 2500 for £5 lol.

It's just going to be for the internet,.. that's £10 well spent I think! With XP being freshly installed on it, you'd be surprised how fast it actually can go even with the AMD 1800+ in!

Hehe,... still....
Looking forwards to building this new PC.

I'm thinking of ways to kind of make it look better with the side window, I think I might buy some lights for it or something. I know it's a bit of a waste,.. but if i'm going to spend so much on a PC,.. whats a few pounds more for a bit of fun. ( probably will get nicked from student halls lmao ).

Thanks again for your help!

Nutterz

hey no problem. for reference, ssd is solid state disk (or drive) not static ;) but that sounds good, you dont absolutely need an ssd to get your comp up and running.

all the cosmetic stuff of the case is all up to your tastes. you could put something in like a cold cathode to illuminate the inside to better show off your rig if you want, since the leds on the fans only give off so much light.

anyway, good luck with your rig.

Thanks again Muffin_man!
hehe, I did know it was a solid state drive not a static state drive, don't know why i typed that.

Anyway,.. I was wondering,.. Do I need the 750w PSU?
Overclockers has a 650W PSU for £20 less, which.. even though I have the money to spend on the rig would be nice to save if I don't need to spend it.
Corsair TX 650W ATX SLi Compliant Power Supply (CMPSU-650TXUK)

Seems this would run everything fine? Please can you just check over it as I trust your judgement more than my own.

Cheers

Steve

Ugh,
Overclockers have taken that motherboard off aswel,

Looking at this one now:
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard

I've had to mess around with how it's going to be set up a bit.
Now I have chosen the different motherboard I need to find some RAM to fit it.
After looking up reviews for the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R motherboard, it says not to use it with Patriot Viper 3GB (3x1GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz) Low Latency Tri-Channel (PVT33G1600LLK)
RAM because of compatability issues or something.

I was wondering, that other motherboard I have looked at says it supports:
Support for DDR3 2000+/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules
So....
Would this RAM work in it?
OCZ Blade Series 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-16000 Triple Channel (OCZ3B2000C9LV6GK)

That is 2000mhz so I can't see why not, is it a good idea?
I am thinking of that ram with the MSI botherboard, along with the 650 SLI compatable PSU.
Can any of you see any problems with this rig?

I'll just fetch all the links:

Motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard

Processor:
Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 2.66Ghz (Nehalem) (Socket LGA1366) - Retail

Memory:
OCZ Reaper 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) Tri-Channel (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK)

Case:
Antec 902 Nine Hundred Two Ultimate Gaming Case - Black (No PSU)

PSU:
Corsair TX 650W ATX SLi Compliant Power Supply (CMPSU-650TXUK)

Graphics card: - When I sell my car, I'll live without in the meantime.

Thanks again for all your help!

you could use the 650w. i just suggested the 750w because you had mentioned before that you might want sli in the future, and if you were to stay with the gtx 260 i suggested, youd need the two extra pcie connections for two cards in sli that the 750w has. the card does come with adapters if you dont have the connections and even though i had heard that the adapters should only be temporary, corsair is a very good brand, so it should still work for sli.

for the ram, the issue is that the original patriot ram i had suggested works in triple channel which the i7 works well with, but that mobo youve changed to only uses dual channel ram. instead of changing the ram, id change the mobo. this is a good mobo,
Asus P6T Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
but apparently theres only 1 in stock...meh...
this site also has it, for a little cheaper too,
Asus P6T, Intel X58, S1366, PCI-E 2.0 (x16), Triple DDR3 2000(OC), SATA 3Gb/s, SATA RAID, ATX - Scan.co.uk
but it would be kind of impractical ordering from two sites...

also, you still need a graphics card. the mobo doesnt have onboard video, so unless you have a spare gpu for the time being, you still need one >.<

sorry if i missed anything, its late atm.

Ah, it seems gone are the days I can just jam things together and it works.
The other motherboard I listed says - Dual/3 channel memory architecture, just confused me a little as it sounds like it should take triple ram.
I guess I should go for the 750w PSU if the other one is not as good ( I know nothing about PSUs in honesty, just that I'm allowed up to 1200w all together in my room at any time and the price tag ).

Thanks again - Finally got my withdrawal through so can start building.
P.S

I may be totally 100% wrong, but does the number of mhz a ram card is affect the speed in which it runs?
Would I be better putting in a 1800mhz ( PC3-1440 ) than the 1600mhz PC3-12800?

Things have changed a lot since when I built my last PC, sorry to be a hastle!

Oh just found one of the reviews for the 650w PSU says:

"in addition to the usual stuff it had -
8 sata plugs on two cables long enough to hang myself with.
8 molex plugs on two cables finished off with floppy plugs.
2 PCI plugs"

the 2 PCI plugs are what I need, right?

if you need to save money, the 650w corsair will work.

you dont really need 1800mhz ram, that ram helps in OCing. 1600mhz ram will be fine, but i see that thers only a £10 difference between the reapers you chose and the patriot ram i suggested. both kits have the same timings, but the reapers will work a little faster. either kit will work.

for the psu, yes you need 2 pcie connections for one 260, 4 connections for 2 in sli. the 650w comes with only 2 connections which = one card, but if/when you buy another one for sli, it will come with adapters to provide the two extra connections. both the 650w and 750w will run the cards, just that 750w comes with the necessary connections already, as in, it comes it with 4 pcie.

btw, you should edit your posts instead of re-posting >.<

Oops, sorry vernong1992.
I thought it was an awesome forum that put my messages together, I was quite shocked when I came back! Thanks for the advice.

OoOOoooo really looking forwards to it!
I'll take some photos when it's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom