I made a mistake, need some help (long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffrock

In Runtime
Hey all,
I screwed something up, and I am here to beg for some help/opinions. I just got a X800pro and in haste forgot to uninstall all the ati drivers and software before taking out my 9800pro. I realized this just as I plugged in the x800. So, I decided to uninstall all the ati stuff, and reinstall the drivers, catalyst control panel, etc.
I thought I deleted everything, I rebooted my system, and saw that I still had a couple Ati programs when i went to control panel->add/remove software. These two programs are: Ati dvddecoder and ati mulitmedia (i think its mme 8.0). However, it does not show how large the files are, whereas normally it shows the size of the file to be uninstalled. I decided to proceed with these two programs still installed. I dl'd the large file from ati that includes the drivers, catalyst, control panel, etc. Upon installation, some funky stuff is happening. I checked under the driver section in the control panel, and it does show that I have the latest drivers (4.9)
But, when I go to open the catalyst control center, I get a message that "Ati hardware is not found. The Ati driver is not installed or not functioning properly" and cannot even get into the catalyst area.
Also, everytime I reboot my system I get the following fatal error: "FATAL Error: AtiSServe Failed to Provide the Required Interfaces! "
I found this on ATI's support site regarding the fatal error: http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/3762.html
So, I decided to get rid of those two problems by going into the registery and deleting all ati files that were unnecessary. I used some registry program, but cant remember which one as I am at work right now.
Unfortunately it didnt work, and I still see these two programs showing up under the control panel--->add/remove programs.
So, again i reinstalled the ati software and drivers.
For a couple minutes, catalyst works and right clicking on the icon in the bottom right hand side will pull up the primary and secondary x800 pro drivers.
When I go into the catalyst control, i noticed that smartgart was not even an option in it. So, I figured what the heck lets try to run some benchmarks. A few times I ran 3dmark03 with success and pretty good scores, but the third and fourth time I ran it, my PC froze at the same exact spot towards the end. I think it is during the sound test on the airplane demo.
I had already updated my chipset drivers when I had the 9800pro. Could this be related to my chipset driver? Anyone have any suggestions? I am at my wit's end, and about to reformat my hd when I get home and see if it works on a fresh install of xp. I am also pondering uninstalling sp2, but then i am not sure if the stuff i installed since sp2 would work (doom3, halo, and a couple other programs.) Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
edit- I also ran sysandra and got a warning that my smbios might be incorrect. Could this affect whats going on?

Me personally, if i make a big jump in hardware like that, i always reformat, thats just my oppinion. If not, go to your device manager, delete everything ati, delete your chipset, delete your sound drivers. reboot, let windows reinstall them, i would take sp2 off, sp2 is nothing but problems in my oppinion. I recommend going to sp1. Since you have changed your hardware, its possible that you might have problems uninstalling sp2. I would just reformat. Of course then and again i am a reformat freak, I just love the feeling of being on a system with nothing installed except the os and drivers

Thx jseber,
LOL, I think I could have reformatted my hd in the same amount of time I spent screwing around trying to get this right. I'll see if I get some more replies, if not I will reformat when I get home.

Yea sometimes you do gotta look at time... if you can start over and rebuilt in the time it takes to fix,,, might as well start over ehe. Then at least you know you are on a clean system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom