I need a better video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikee

Fully Optimized
My video card right now is starting to show its age and isn't doing well in newer games. I only have a 400w psu which I do not want to have to replace. I have been looking at different video cards like GTS 250, 9800GTX and 9800GT. Most of the ones I have looked at require at least a 450W psu with 2 6 pin pci espress connectors. Any ideas for a video card that will work with a 400W PSU?

I play games like GTAIV, Farcry 2, Need for speed undercover. Crysis I also want to be able to play need for speed shift.

Can you please provide additional details of your PSU? Like amps on +12v rails? Should be labeled on the side of your PSU.

here's all the info I could find on my psu

psu.jpg

I think those cards would of been fine, except that the power supply has a low amp rating on the +12v rail. So I would suggest the HD 4770, which is cheaper, consumes less power, and can in some situations, compete with a GTS 250.

do you think a would a gts 250 work? some of the places I have looked don't have the psu requirements listed.

Yea, they should list PSU requirements.

And the minimum power requirement for a GTS 250, is 450W.

Actually the HD 4770 also requires a minimum 450W.

I'd say your best bet is a 9600GT.

Power-Up is a brand to be avoided in terms of power supplies.

I'd suggest this one instead:
Buy the Corsair VX450W 450-Watt Power Supply at TigerDirect.ca
It's a much more reliable and recognized company, especially for power supplies.

If that is out of your price range, then I'd suggest this one:
Newegg.ca - Rosewill RP550-2 550W ATX12V v2.01 Power Supply - Power Supplies

You won't see a big difference in performance between the 512MB and 1GB version, unless you play games on a large resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom