I screwed up a USB flash drive..

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc_boy

Daemon Poster
I was using the program PEtoUSB to format my 8GB USB drive so I could put XP on it and install it on my EEE PC. But the thing froze at 0% so I had to kill the application using task manager. Now when I plug it in to any computer the drive does not show up in "My Computer" anymore, however the red light on the drive still comes on and I can hear the sound.

Is there any way I can revive this thing? I don't know how to format it since the program doesn't see it anymore.

doesn't show up in disk management..

I go Computer > Manage

is that the one you are talking about?

edit: It DOES shot up under Device Manager, when I plug it in it shows up under Disk Drives > USB device

...but I dont know what to do from there, there is no option format in device manager.

any tips?

im using win 7 beta.

i tried it on another computer and it is the same thing

Hmm nobody can figure this out? So is this toast, should I just throw it away?

Shows up in Device Manager but not in Disk Manager. Doesn't show up in Linux or in CMD.

Anything I can try?

If it doesnt show up in the Disk Management in Windows then there is no way you are going to be able to format it within Windows. If it doesnt show up in Linux then i would say that the drive was damaged.

that's weird, can the drive really be damaged using software? I would think that damaging the drive = hitting it with a rock or dropping it in acid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom