Constant Short Freezing in Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the CPU passed after 6 1/2 hours without error. I also tried different tests, seems to handle everything I throw at it.

Thought it might be a network thing since I have only tried online games. Half-Life 2 will start up but then gets stuck, does the exact same thing, goes for a bit, freezes, goes for a bit, freezes.

The only thing left is the mobo? I may just have to scrap this machine and make it a mythtv front end and get a new mobo,cpu,ram,hdd on the Intel Platform.

Any other suggestions.

At this point I have tested everything I can think of. My PC runs flawlessly when doing anything regular (Eclipse, PhotoShop, Picasa, Open Office, Chrome with 12 windows, FF with 10 tabs, etc).

Its only games does it start to choke, this issue is going to drive me crazy.

Could it possibly be the NIC Card? every game I have tested had some type of online component:

Warhammer Online & WoW both get consistent freezing
Half-Life 2 & Counter-strike - Can't even start a game because it locks up

I have titan quest, maybe I will install it and see if I get the problem, if so maybe if I disable the NIC and try the game to verify if its the NIC? Could a NIC cause this type of issue? it doesn't feel like its actually a network issue.

Well disabled my NIC, and HL2 still suffered from the same problem in offline mode. Titan Quest also suffered from the same problem.

I guess I will just have to build myself a new Intel based Gaming rig :(

I used to love AMD, but this is my 2nd PC to have odd issues when it comes to gaming, and AMD was in both of them. Too bad!

The same could be said for any hardware. I love AMD, I use them in all of my linux servers and work PC's. I am now 0 for 2 on gaming rigs when it comes to AMD.

Bad Luck? Maybe, but regardless the bad luck came when using AMD in high performance machines, so I doubt I will buy an AMD Gaming rig for a long while.

Got any suggestions that will help me resolve my actual issue?

I did upgrade the BIOS when I first noticed the problem in Vista thinking it might be a Vista thing with the MOBO, I was thinking of downgrading, but the problem showed up before I upgraded, so I don't think that will work.

The new intel NIC came in, no success with that.

I have had the exact same problem on basically the exact same machine (you didn't specify mobo model number, that's the only thing that might be different.) I've run pretty much every benchmark software I could find and found 0 errors, but when it comes to some games these .5-1 second freezes happen every 10-20 seconds nonstop. Other computers on the network have no issues.

I was thinking hard drive up till now but that didn't seem to work for you, I'd hate for it to be the CPU (my second guess). I've always been an AMD fanboy and I kinda feel cheated now. Did you ever figure out a solution to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom