LCD screen - Smaller is better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
I know what your thinking, everyone wants some big o' screens for their PC, and this is true for me.. but this isn't for my PC.

I want a small screen, the grand scale Ideal for this is to be able to hook up a spy camera to it and get feed, and possibly, room permitting, house a small computer with some pretty basic stats (I think most phones now have higher specs)

The purpose is total Geek FanGirl (boy if you copy and are male I guess) fun.

I plan to make a Pipboy 3000 from the Fallout series. I have always wanted one since Fallout 1 hit, a PDA Device strapped to my wrist that actually functions.

This has been seen with some iphone touch and such, but I want more "authentic" looking results. It needs to be a square, or close to square as possible, LCD. Approx. 4-5 inches. I am waiting to get ahold of a Pipboy3000 Clock (survival game edition special pos cheap plastic) to do sizing and re-make it with fiberglass.

The hope is to be able to set up an OS system to house the spy cam (which will be wireless or carefully wired into another part of the costume) , anything else is gravy - like setting up a VOIP phone or something.

The biggest problems right now are finding a suitable display for it, and forethought for possible overheating since it will be crammed into a relatively small space and strapped onto my wrist.

I am just sorta browsing options right now, so price isn't a concearn. There are some crazy small all-in-one Laptops from OQO that might work, although the screen size is way off (and prices at over $1,000) I was really hoping for more of a square design like in the included picture. Some field displays might work, provided someone could tell me how to re-wire them. I have no fear of solder or anything so as long as we can get something working, I am willing to fork the time and effort into making it work.

Included are some pictures from concept to give an idea of what I am looking for/going for.
Pipboy 3000

*note*

The hope of the spy cam is to be able to take snapshots using the LCD as a view window of what your pointed at - and it would be nice to be able to view them on the Pipboy when they are taken as well. This idea came from cutting down the silly look of 'out of place' cameras for DragonCon and such - where your in costume depicting whatever (in my case, Fallout) but I am using a camera to take pictures of myself and others in costume... I figured.. why not just combine the 2 into the suit.

I also have a Camera I can take apart and work with if we can manage to wire it to a bigger display,

I don't really feel it belongs here either considering the idea... Lol.. but oh well thanks ^.^

I don't really feel it belongs here either considering the idea... Lol.. but oh well thanks ^.^

Essentially you're modding the case for a PDA, so Case Modding makes sense. As for an LCD screen, look into replacement GPS LCD's, probably the cheapest you'll find. A big plus is that they have touch screen capabilities, which would be awesome.

If your actually going to make it a pc wouldn't a simple web cam work for your purpose and be relatively cheap to buy and mod into the Pipboy, Love your enthusiasm with this idea by the way, another idea you could look into is putting a netbook in a backpack if you can find one with a connection for another LCD and just run wires to the Pipboy for the camera and LCD and the netbook would do all the work, The only issue I can really think of to be a problem is to have the power to keep the LCD running for any length of time without any heavy batteries on you someplace. There are some pretty hefty lithium packs that are pretty light weight but those start running into some money to have enough power and a charger to charge them up.

Dauntae

I'd say your best bet is to look up your closest major electronics supplier (I think you've got farnell too?)

http://au.farnell.com/jsp/search/results.jsp?N=1002920&isGoback=false

Grab a screen from there, hook it up to a simple circuit (which'll basically just need a PIC and a transceiver) and then have another circuit (which'll need a transceiver and the camera) in your shoe or wherever. All you'd need for a camera is an old camera from a mobile phone, and you're golden.

How good are you with programming/electronics? This could get a little tricky, but so long as you read the devices datasheets it should be pretty easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom