Help with Lynnfield Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenofix

Baseband Member
Hi.

I want to build a computer with the new Core i7 860 that just came out a few days ago.
Could someone suggest me a build with my primary purpose being video editing, namely an array of Adobe products in use simultaneously.

I was thinking of the following build.
  • Intel Core i7 860
  • 3x 2GB 1066 DDR3 RAM
  • Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3
  • Noctua NH-U12P SE CPU Cooler
  • 1TB HDD
  • DVD Burner Combo
  • nVidia 9600
  • ?PSU
  • ?Chassis

Could someone recommend me some brands for some of those parts please and correct me on some parts that I should/n't get?
Also, it is worth getting 1666MHz DDR3?

Thanks.

While the 860 is classified as an i7 processor, unlike the 900 series it only has a dual-channel memory controller. So the 6GB (3x2GB) of memory you have listed won't do you any good unless you want to run in single-channel mode.

If you want to build a i7 860 system you need to buy a 4GB (2x2GB) set of memory or wait until a 8GB (2x4GB) set of memory becomes available.

Or you can build an i7 920 system with 6GB (3x2GB) of memory.

A Nvidia 9600? That's like buying a Cadillac with Vinyl Seats. You should at least consider a GTS 250 or an ATI 4850.

Ok thanks for your advice and parts list. This is looking to be more expensive than I initially though.

You could go with an AMD phenom II build. I've got a x4 940 build that costed me about $980 CAD (stupid taxes and shipping..) even though the parts were about $800. I don't video edit, but I run illustrator cs4, photoshop cs4, picasa, itunes, for most of the time I'm on it. 4gb of RAM.

A 4850 works perfectly as well, they're cheap, fast, and at 1280 x 1024 I can run any game (except ARMA II with a lot of draw distance) maxed with 4x anti-aliasing usually. Which was exactly what I wanted :D.

a phenom II 940 build would save him very little because the i7 860 allready performs just as fast as the i7 920. but to cut costs he could go with something like a cheaper 4850 or a 4770

i dont think it would that little. youd be saving $50 just by going with 2x2gigs of ddr2, or $100 if he were getting two kits. i do agree with the graphics card, a 4850 would save another $90.

but even if he stays with the original build youve posted, you could save a little over $100 instantly by going with an antec 300 case instead.

You could go with an AMD phenom II build. I've got a x4 940 build that costed me about $980 CAD (stupid taxes and shipping..) even though the parts were about $800. I don't video edit, but I run illustrator cs4, photoshop cs4, picasa, itunes, for most of the time I'm on it. 4gb of RAM.

A 4850 works perfectly as well, they're cheap, fast, and at 1280 x 1024 I can run any game (except ARMA II with a lot of draw distance) maxed with 4x anti-aliasing usually. Which was exactly what I wanted :D.

I'm more of an Intel kind of person. I would never go with AMD. To me, it seems that Intel performs better than AMD although AMD is much cheaper. I want a computer that will last me for at least 5 years. The LGA1136 looks promising.

or to save another $100 you could go with the i7 750 instead, still a quad but with no hyperthreading and still eats the phenom II's.

or to save another $100 you could go with the i7 750 instead, still a quad but with no hyperthreading and still eats the phenom II's.

Yeah, I've considered that option but I want Hyperthreading. With all the apps open, hyperthreading would be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom