Possible upgrade to i5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

35g700

rustle rustle
Last Wednesday was my birthday and my parents want to get me something the trouble is IDK what I want. I'm thinking about maybe upgrading my PC to i5 and then putting my current mainboard, CPU, and RAM into the family's old computer. I'd like to see how much it would cost (and I would like to keep the cost way down) to do this so this is what I need:

Core i5 CPU
mainboard that works with i5
ddr3 RAM
a bracket I can use so I can use my Xigmatek 120MM rifle (3 heat pipes) with the new LGA socket.
A cheap low end video card to use in the old PC.

So far this is what I have been looking at:

Newegg.com - Intel Core i5 750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - ASUS P7P55D LE LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards - I read that P55 does SLI, is that true?

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - XFX HD-435X-YAH2 Radeon HD 4350 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Low Profile Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

and I don't know what bracket to buy.

All suggestions are welcome :)

Thanks, I'll swap to that card.

Is that is a decent board for OC'ing (better then this junk p43 board I got)? And what braket should I get for my heatsink? Does the LGA 1156 socket have the same push pin dimensions as the LGA 1366 socket? I can't find an adapter bracket on newegg for my heatsink that is for LGA 1156.

Thanks for the help guys.

How good of a board does evga make? Are they as good as asus? I just don't want to get a crappy mainboard again like I did with this P43.

I may not be able get the board for $169 (trying to stay as cheap as possible) but if I do I'll probably get the evga one so I don't have to spend the extra $10 on a new bracket.

im looking at these both sli capable and remember this is in canadian $
NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte P55-UD4P ATX LGA1156 P55 DDR3 2PCI-E 3PCI-E1 2PCI RAID 2GLAN CrossFireX SLI Motherboard - GA-P55-UD4P In Canada.

NCIX.com - Buy EVGA P55 ATX LGA1156 DDR3 SLI Crossfire 3PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 2PCI Sound GBLAN Motherboard - 132-LF-E655-KR In Canada.

that gigabyte board is preaty wicked looking at it. i recently built a system for a friend with a p45 ud4 and its a wicked board. ive noticed that asus is preaty over priced compared to other brands just because it has the name brand asus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom