Monitor problems - screen black.

Status
Not open for further replies.

casca

Beta member
Hi there,

I have a computer which was built especially for me, it has 1GB RAM, Windows XP, NVidia (I'm sorry I don't remember the model).

Last night I turned it off an it updated windows, I left it to do that and eventually heard it turn itself off.

This morning I turn on the computer, and it starts up and runs fine, except the screen is black and says "no signal." It did this a few weeks ago but after I turned it off it started up fine again. I doubt it's the cable as I tried another monitor I had, and got the same result.

I've checked and unplugged everything and put it back it, but nothing seems to affect it.

I don't know a lot about computers, so any suggestions would be grateful!!!

Thanks.

Try pressing F8 repeatedly once the computer turns on. This will give you the option of booting into several different modes for XP. Go to the Enable VGA Mode and see if it boots. If it does, remove the current video card drivers, and install new ones. If it doesn't, try booting into safe mode, through the boot options.

Hi, I can't see to boot into VGA Mode or safe mode as I don't even get the option to coming up on screen. Before it even starts to boot this or windows it is just black. All that comes up is the screen notice saying "no signal". I assume now it is the video card from researching other posts.

Ok, I thought you could see atleast the BIOS information/Windows before drivers were loaded. Most likely a card error then. Have you tried a new VGA/DVI/HDMI cable?

Nope, no BIOS information, just nothing. I haven't got a spare VGA cable, but I used another screen I have which has the cable built into the screen, this didn't work either, I got the same result and same "no signal."
Could it still just be a card error? Or maybe a case of a new card? It did this once before a couple of weeks ago, but after I left it for a while, it decided to work and has been fine until now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom