Building a gaming computer - no defined budget as of yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
That mobo will work. Here's a combo with Vista 64-bit w/free upgrade to Windows 7:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

You picked out decent RAM, too.

Here's a nice combo deal, an Antec Nine Hundred case with an Antec 650W PSU
Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred + EA650 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 650W Power Supply - Computer Cases

Grab this video card. It is from XFX so it has a lifetime guarantee:
Newegg.com - XFX HD-487A-ZWFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Add in a hard drive:
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

And an optical:
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

$175 + $120 + $65 + $150 + $65 + $31
Total = $606 plus shipping

If you drop Vista you would be right around the $500 mark, but your XP is most likely 32-bit, meaning it can only utilize a max of 3.5GB of RAM with would include the memory on your video card.

You could opt for a 4850 and save $25:
Newegg.com - XFX HD-485X-ZDFC Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

or $35:
Newegg.com - XFX HD-485X-YDFC Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Hm I'll have to think about it. Thanks though :)! Is a video card that powerful required to run champions online on high? I also think you forgot the processor.

I used the E7500 you linked to earlier. It's the $120 on the cost. ;)

The 4870 should run it on high. If you plan on waiting a bit, the new ATI cards look to be shaping up to be incredible. See the thread here.

I'm starting to think maybe I shouldn't really worry about that. Im starting to think I should cut back as much as I can on the PC so I can get more games for the XBOX =/. I can easily meet the minimum requirements for my classes with $300-$400. I could pass on all the games, but as long as I have a hope and chance to play Diablo III in TWO years I'll be fine. Is there a possible build with 3gb ram, (i have the OS), a 2.0-2.5 dual core, and a 256-512 MB video card for $300? I don't know my video cards too well. That's the only part I have trouble finding because I don't understand the difference between products on Newegg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom