I need some help deciding on parts for a new build please

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldskool

Oldie but a goodie
I'm going to be building a computer soon, and would like some help with deciding on some parts, if anyone would like to help with decisions, that would be great!

OBJECTIVE: I don't need anything super fancy for a build, but I do want bang for the buck of course. I am looking at a budget of about $600, but would like to trim it to $500-$550 if possible. I plan on using Win 7. Would like to dual-boot with Linux later at some point after everything is completed. I'm not a gamer, but just want a new system for reliable service when I want it.

I also would like to have as much RAM as possible to go with whatever motherboard I buy, because it seems that RAM is always the first thing to go obsolete before other things. I'm also wanting to go with a SATA hard drive. Seagate, Western Digital ? Either would be fine I think.

I have a Broadcom NIC that I will probably use.

As for a case, I have several cases, old HP ATX cases, etc., that I could use, so I don't really think I need one but wouldn't against some kind of package deal either.

I already have a graphics card I will be using. It's a GeForce 8400 GS.

As for a CPU, either Intel or AMD is good, not partial to one over the other except for price considerations.

If I have forgotten to mention anything, please let me know and I will post back. Thanks !

EDIT: Oh, and things like audio, just would like audio to be descent. Nothing fancy.

well, i guess this could be a start for $504.

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor - Processors - Desktops
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
two Newegg.com - G.SKILL HK 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-4GBHK - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Newegg.com - Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - CD / DVD Burners

i dont know if you are going to include a new os into the budget though.

if you want to reduce the cost a bit, you can see if you have on old optical drive you can reuse, save you $30 right there. you can also go for cas 5 ram instead of cas 4, which if you would plan on buying two sets, would save you $20. this is the alternate ram.
Newegg.com - OCZ Blade Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model OCZ2B800C54GK - Desktop Memory

you can also give the x2 550 a shot instead of the 720 and save a further $20, since the 550 paired with that mobo seems to give some real good chances of unlocking it into a quad with the good ol' ACC feature in teh bios.

i dont know if you are going to include a new os into the budget though.

^ ^
OBJECTIVE: I don't need anything super fancy for a build, but I do want bang for the buck of course. I am looking at a budget of about $600, but would like to trim it to $500-$550 if possible. I plan on using Win 7. Would like to dual-boot with Linux later at some point after everything is completed. I'm not a gamer, but just want a new system for reliable service when I want it.

Thank you for your response, Muffin Man. I really appreciate the input. :D

And the GeForce 8400 video card I mentioned will work with this as well ? I hope so, but I'm just making sure, because that is the newest component I have (only a few months old) and I want to use it if it will work with this motherboard.

And again, thanks for the replies Muffin and kmote !

This looks like a solid build Muffin Man.

But the other ram is deactivated ;o;

I am thinking of incorporating this in a future friends build to play AION. Should a tri-core be used on Aion and Windows XP? Or No?

wow... i never thought it would get deactivated. well last time i checked there was still a few other good sets at the same price point and performance of the alternative ram i had linked, so if youre looking for some, ill help you find it. also, aslong as your 8400 is pci-e, it should work.

@ objecterror, the fact that its a tri-core wont make it incompatible or anything like that, unless you were talking performance wise, then i guess you also have to look at what graphics card is going in the build, but that cpu is good.

but, i dont understand what you mean by "Or will anything 6400 @ 2GB suffice?", whats 6400?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom