next generation graphics card, should I wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake64_009

In Runtime
Hey guys, haven't built my pc yet but will do soon.

I have been researching a bit and it seems dx11 cards are coming out soon, a month for ATI i think and Nvidia following a couple months after if I'm right.

My build was going to consist of 2 x Nvidia GTX 285 cards.

My question is, should I wait for dx11 cards or go with the 285's and wait for dx11 cards to be improved? I could buy soemthing that will be cheap but do the job until dx11 comes out. I'm not usually an early adopter of new technology but it seems dx11 might be quite good. I definately need to buy a graphics card as my 7900gtx is failing me right now.

Oh, there is no telling how expensive dx11 cards will be either... In my opinion, they will be quite expensive so it might be worth waitign a year or so for second generation cards. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I just don't know what to do!!!!!!!!!!

What would you guys do?

In the new tech section theres a thread on the ati hd 5870 and it was said that it was coming out on September 23rd and would be $399. It was also said that the card would be around 4870x2 and gtx295 speed. So if thats all true then I would wait for that since its less than 2 weeks away.

Its true if you keep waiting for the newest and greatest things your never build the computer but when your talking about whole new generations of stuff coming out in less than a month I don't think that applies.

True that ATi is bringing it out soon but what about Nvidia? Reckon I should wait for them too? at the very least it will bring down the price of the ATI card won't it? I'll check out the new tech section.

The truth is this, if you keep waiting for the latest and greatest, then in fact you will never build.

But this also needs to be taken into account, do people really regret waiting a little bit for a specific thing? Or just waiting at all (prices to drop, revisions, etc.)? It's the people that buy abruptly and early that end up regretting things, not the conservative ones who use caution and prudence.

I suggest you wait for the hd 5870 to come out, or at least for many reviews especially since you seem to be focusing on the high end. Worst case scenario, you have postponed a build slightly (by doing so it's likely those video cards in your build will have dropped in price slightly as well).

Yea that's what I was thinking as well, if I wait and things don't work out then the ones I were orginally gonna get will come down in price.

If this was another set of dx10 cards I would not have waited or be thinking for so long. It is the next generation and I want a PC that will last which is why I'm asking for opinions. I think I will wait.

If you are an uber impatient person, I say get a cheap, powerful card for now (like an HD 4850 or HD 4770) and use that to hold you off for a couple of weeks.

Emphasis on uber impatient though.

yep i second vernogs suggestion, get a cheap card like a GTX 260 or something now and wait till nvidia AND ati have all their cards on the table before buying.

I agree with vernnog and philbar. Just get something cheap that you can use as a dedicated PhysX card or sell after the new cards come out :D

alirght thanks guys, I think I'll get something cheap or use my current one until both ATI and Nvidia have brought their cards out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom