Motherboard Suggestions? (Gaming rig)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Onboard audio should be fine. Unless you're an audio freak or have some nice speakers there isn't a need for a sound card.

Yeah I run the 750tx and it is a great psu. Fine unless you were running 2 gtx295's or 3 gtx285's

Yeah, I just got mine in the mail today, and I love it (I haven't even used it yet.) I like the fact that it comes in a velvety pouch like a bottle of Royal Crown. Very chic touch. ;D

So, next question, since I'm pretty much narrowing things down here:

Should I spring for the 260? Or should I SLI a pair of 8800 GTX cards?

Pros, cons? Cause I have NO idea.

2 8800 gts cards in sli would be nice. I always prefer a single card solution when possible for 2 reasons:

1) less heat in the case.
2) the possibility to add a second card later when they drop in price. 2x gtx260 = 1 gtx295 :)

based upon that I would go for the gtx260. Not to mention the fact I run it and it is a great card.

2 8800 gts cards in sli would be nice. I always prefer a single card solution when possible for 2 reasons:

1) less heat in the case.
2) the possibility to add a second card later when they drop in price. 2x gtx260 = 1 gtx295 :)

based upon that I would go for the gtx260. Not to mention the fact I run it and it is a great card.

Yeah, heat is a concern. Protect your investment, and all that.

260 it is. Any particular brands you recommend? The EVGA one seems to get the highest marks on newegg.

Thanks much for that recommendation. I'll get the Noctua, then!

I can tell the MOBO is good, but I kind of want to know why. All I do is gaming (as far as high-end activities go), so I'm wondering if it's worth the extra money. Do most MOBOs these days have sound capability built in, or do I have to buy a seperate sound card? I'm just going to be using headphones, honestly, I'm not going for surround sound or anything (yet.)

Just want to make sure I don't purchase anything superfluous to my needs as a user.

Well I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for. And your mobo is basically in charge of the whole PC. Every other part in the PC is connected to the mobo, so if there's one piece of Hardware not to cheap out on, it's the mobo.

The mobo comes with built-in sound. If it's not up to your standards you can alway buy a sound card later. My advise, give the built-in sound a chance.

Well I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for. And your mobo is basically in charge of the whole PC. Every other part in the PC is connected to the mobo, so if there's one piece of Hardware not to cheap out on, it's the mobo.

The mobo comes with built-in sound. If it's not up to your standards you can alway buy a sound card later. My advise, give the built-in sound a chance.

Well all I can discern being different between the two MOBOs is the number of features/ports, and I dunno if I really need all of that. Plus, the price difference is enormous (I can get a combo deal with a 260 if I get the cheaper MOBO, plus $40 in rebates.)

The only issue with the less expensive one is that the northbridge apparently gets hot, but I can always get a better heatsink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom