Upgrading to Core i7/x58

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything looks good to me. The Noctua heatsink is awesome.

That PSU should be enough for SLI.

If you want EVGA, I'd say go for it. They make really good motherboards. Just ask Slaymate for which model.

Iuno, I'd still go with the HAF 932 and a normal PSU. The space in that case is amazing, cable management isn't a problem.

1st question: yes, even 650W would be enough
2nd question: Up to you really. But imo Asus make some great boards, and the P6T deluxe is no exception.

I don't plan on upgrading for atleast 2 years+ so I don't mind spending a little more. It's just that I want to spend on something that won't fail me like my 1st build.

Slaymate or anyone, can you recommend me a good EVGA board please? hopefully in the price range of the ASUS mobo I picked or a tad bit more.

1 more thing about the PSU is it future proof? as in if I do plan on buying lets say 2-3 GTX 295 or the 300 series card coming out soon, will it give enough juice?

The mobo Nubbleet has linked is the board your looking for and it has a Lifetime Warranty. If, however, you plan on upgrading again in 2 years then you won't need the Lifetime Warranty. This mobo is suppose to be the same board as linked above but with a 2 year warranty so it's a little cheaper. I got to say cheaper :D

Newegg.com - EVGA E758-TR 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

The board Nubbleet linked to is what I used to set our SuperPi record :D

Thanks! I'll go with the one Nubbleet linked since I prefer the Lifetime Warranty. Now as for the PSU my question was, is it futureproof as in if I do plan on buying lets say 2-3 GTX 295 or the 300 series card in the future will it provide enough juice without me having to upgrade to another PSU??

BTW I decided to go with the CM Haf 932 Case after reading this review. Antec 1200 vs CM HAF 932 vs CM HAF 922 vs CM Storm Sniper
The Antec 1200 looks a little cramped after everything was installed.

I would consider the 750 watt power supply as a minimun for a SLI rig with a top-tier card. The 850 watt unit would be my choice for a high-end SLI rig.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

If your considering Tri or Quad SLI then you should be looking for a 1000 watt minimun.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Personally I would want more headroom for Tri or Quad SLI but finding a Modular Power Supply better than the one I haved linked will be hard to do. Personally, I wouldn't be considering a Modular unit in anything high-performance, or at least not until they become more popular and more options are available.

I've been using a Cooler Master 1250 watt PS for about 3 years now and I haven't had any problems. It's only $10 more than the 1000 watt Modular unit and it's 250 watts bigger :D
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-C50-EMBA-D2 1250W ATX Form Factor 12V V2.3 / SSI standard EPS 12V V2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

I would consider the 750 watt power supply as a minimun for a SLI rig with a top-tier card. The 850 watt unit would be my choice for a high-end SLI rig.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

If your considering Tri or Quad SLI then you should be looking for a 1000 watt minimun.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Personally I would want more headroom for Tri or Quad SLI but finding a Modular Power Supply better than the one I haved linked will be hard to do. Personally, I wouldn't be considering a Modular unit in anything high-performance, or at least not until they become more popular and more options are available.

I've been using a Cooler Master 1250 watt PS for about 3 years now and I haven't had any problems. It's only $10 more than the 1000 watt Modular unit and it's 250 watts bigger :D
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-C50-EMBA-D2 1250W ATX Form Factor 12V V2.3 / SSI standard EPS 12V V2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Is there something wrong that I should know about with Modular PSU? and I have a question for you Slay I might consider getting the same PSU you have since I don't plan on upgrading for a long time but Newegg is being slow at the moment so I can't see images of the PSU you linked. How's the wiring like and is it manageable?? since you own one I'd figured I'd ask because I notice some non modular ones are a bit messy and hard to hide away when you only need certain wires. I hope it's manageable and clean for the case I will be purchasing which is the CM HAF 932.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom