first time computer builder-need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

krispy1993

Beta member
I am a high school student who would like to build a fast PC for internet surfing, email, and general media for less than $600. I don't know a lot about computers, but I have friends who do, and one who recently built his own computer. I am currently the owner of a Gateway PC designed for windows 98 that has been "upgraded" to windows 2000. What components (Case with a Power Supply, Motherboard, Processor, Memory (RAM) , Hard Drive, Video Card, DVD/CD drive) would you all recommend for less than $600 I would like to have built in capability to connect to my home's wireless network. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
-Chris

welcome.

what else will you be needing?

monitor, keyboard, mouse? it also sounds like you could use a newer OS? you could buy vista home premium with a free windows 7 upgrade coupon. if you dont need one, just say. do you plan on gaming on it, or just general uses like the ones youve mentioned already?

Welcome to Tech Forums, krispy!!

In my opinion, you don't really need a desktop to be doing internet surfing, email, and general media. There are tons of laptops under $500 that can do just that, plus it's portable.

But here's a list of components that I did make up for you:

Case - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
w/ Scythe Slipstream 120mm Case Fan (for the front of the case)
Processor - Intel Pentium E5300 2.6GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-G41M-ES2H LGA 775 Intel G41 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Memory - G. Skill 2x1GB DDR2-800
Power supply - Corsair 400CX 400W
Hard drive - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB
Optical drive - HP 24X DVD Burner
OS - Vista Home Premium w/ Windows 7 Upgrade coupon
Wireless - ENCORE ENLWI-N IEEE 802.11b/g, IEEE 802.11n Draft 2.0 PCI 2.3 Wireless Adapter Up to 300Mbps Wireless Data Rates 64/128-bits WEP Encryption WPA, WPA2 WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK

Comes out to $524.86, shipping not calculated.

If you do decide for a laptop, here's a suggestion:

TOSHIBA Satellite L305-S5962 NoteBook Intel Pentium dual-core T4200(2.00GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 2GB Memory DDR2 800 250GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi Intel GMA 4500M - Retail

That's a good build, but I think that case is kind of overkill for him (not necessarily price wise, but I've used that case personally and I don't think its well suited for a build like this).

I think it is a good choice of case. Very stylish if nothing else. Looks good for a good price AND has some function.

Personally that would be more along the lines of something I would recommend, but it's ultimately up to him. Don't try to convince me :).

Thanks for all the advice so fast. I might consider buying a laptop too, but i hear that building a computer would make a faster operating machine.

Not necessarily. Of course the OS will operate a little faster because it's not bloated with junk software that retail desktop and laptops are filled with. With a laptop you just have to know how to clean it out. But building your own computer is always good, because it's a nice learning experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom