SLI upgrade and Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

masteroc

In Runtime
Just decided to upgrade my comp a bit and while i'm at it do a clean install of Windows 7. My question is, while im doing this, are there any good install or performance tweaks I can do for games. One specific question is: How should I partition my HD while installing windows 7? I have a separate TB hd for data and media so I assume I would just install games and apps along with windows on the same partition. Or is it better to create a separate partition for windows and one for games/apps? Also, has anyone found any problems with using Windows 7 for gaming? And does daemon tools work on it as well?
And lastly, the upgrade that I mentioned earlier is going to be an SLI set up, have there been any reported problems with SLI or Nvidia drivers on Windows 7?

Thanks!

I used to create a separate partition for games. Honestly, I noticed to difference or advantage to it. Now, I just prefer to have the OS on one HDD and data on another.

Games have run just fine for me on 7. Daemon Tools says it won't work (or rather that it has known compatibility issues) but I've installed it anyway and had no problems.

I have SLI and everything runs smooth with no problems.

I'm running TRI-285 on win7 and it runs buttery smooth. Havent had any issues at all. Personally i always try to keep my OS and games seperate just because reinstall so often.

My SLI setup and Windows 7 is working Fabulous :D

I don't bother partitioning up my HD's anymore. I just buy another HD.

I'm running TRI-285 on win7 and it runs buttery smooth. Havent had any issues at all. Personally i always try to keep my OS and games seperate just because reinstall so often.

Oh, for some reason I thought that the games entered themselves into the registry and/or had problems if you reinstalled the OS (even if they were on a second HD)!

He probably means the installers for the games. It wont work like that if you reformat and have them on a 2nd HDD installed already.

Ah, ok. I was pretty sure it didnt, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something

When you reinstall Windows you will need to reinstall your games...even if they are on a separate HDD.

When you reinstall Windows you will need to reinstall your games...even if they are on a separate HDD.

Depends on the game. Some games (World of Warcraft) doesnt require a reinstall. I'd probably end up losing my mind if i had to reinstall that everytime i reinstalled my OS. But its simple enough to keep the game files on a separate drive and just reinstall to it after an OS reinstall. It's much faster also.

Depends on the game. Some games (World of Warcraft) doesnt require a reinstall. I'd probably end up losing my mind if i had to reinstall that everytime i reinstalled my OS. But its simple enough to keep the game files on a separate drive and just reinstall to it after an OS reinstall. It's much faster also.

Exactly what I plan on doing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom