Won't boot after install new Radeon 7500

Status
Not open for further replies.

costanza

Solid State Member
I bought a new Radeon 7500 installed in PCI. PC wont boot. Makes beeping sound then monitor turns off and keyboard blinks. Running XP Pro, 450mhz, 320RAM. Called ATI they are useless. ATI site useless. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Whats your whole machine specs? Motherboard, cpu, ram , psu, all that good stuff

Did you go from and integrated to the radeon? i dunno if you did, but if so, you might have to go into the bios and set the graphics to pci instead of integrated befor you install the card. Have seen it happen a few times.

When it comes to this sort I am kinda illiterate, This was a hand me down PC, its a Compaq Deskpro EN 450, I know its PIII 450, 320 ram, it does have an expansion board for the pci. I will try to give more info this weekend when I have time to get into the inside and find out what it has.

from a newbie

you have to disable whatever was installed before...(video card ) and then install the new one...i had the same prob..but did a disable on the first ..then it worked..

try compusa customer service support..sometimes they help..

Also, if you are running windows 98 or ME, boot your pc up in safe mode befor installing the radeon 7500, and remove all video cards from the device manager. Safe mode lets you see all ghost drivers

I appreciate everyones help, I will try these suggestions tonight. Would the bios or the motherboard have anything to do with it. The bios version is compaq 616T3....does anyone know of an update for this version?

OK, I will explain in steps:

1. Install the new vid card wether it is AGP or PCI
2. Plug the monitor into the vid card not the old onboard slot
3. Turn the computer on (if no display, restart computer with monitor attached to the onboard slot
4. Once you are finally in and the computer is running, right click on "My Computer"
5. Click on "Hardware" and then "Device Manager"
6. Go under video adapters and right click on the Onboard video card and select "Disable".
7. Reboot your machine and plug the monitor into the new vid card if it is not already plugged in there.
8. That should do it. If not go back and and install all the drivers from the driver CD onto the computer and then disable the old vid card. To be safe you might want to do that first.

Just a little extra info, if the computer beeps more than once when you go to boot it up, then you are having hardware issues and the motherboard is not compatible with the vid card. I have had it happen so don't think that it doesn't.

If this doesn't work, e-mail me and I will help you personally.

okay guys, I have found the problem. My motherboard is not compatable with this card. I tested it in another Compaq I have that is older than the first PC and it does the same thing. One has XP and the other 98. All slots work. ATI said if it doesn't work in either PC it could be a bad card....What are the chances? Should I contact CompUsa? Whatcha guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom