I7 or I5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fact is, only a 6 core machine or more will take advantage of the memory bandwidth of the x58 platform. I suggest you look at benchmarks then to see this.

And according to your logic, its better to have something more powerful. I would argue that the i5 750 is more powerful, has more scalability with turbo mode, and uses less power and runs cooler than the i7 920, but since you don't seem to want to concede this argument based on the facts, I'll go further.

The new socket with lynnfield is going to be the new lga775, the one in the x58 platform is essentially dead unless you want to spend a grand later on and get the 6 core cpu. So... I ask, when the time comes where these two processors are no loner adequate (which wont because like I said a quad core system could not really use the triple channel bandwidth), wouldn't you want a platform where you can just upgrade the cpu easily instead of rebuying a motherboard and a cpu and possibly more?

Based on what facts? Just because you've typed it?

Do you work for Intel? Is this where your getting all your inside info about cpu and socket development. Or are you just making wild speculation.

As I understand it gulftown will be 1366 so it is far from a dead socket. It will be the socket for Intel's high end cpu's which is what I want. Now Slay wishes he could still run a socket A but that is beside the point :D.

First of all, I have mentioned that gulftown will be 1366, but are you actually considering this a viable product for people? This is going to be a premium product, most likely sold at the $price point, hardly something even people here to consider feasable.

Second, to Slay, do I honestly need to provide you with the benchmarks? Go to Anandtech.com or dailytech.com's list of reviews. They all have similar consensus. Are you basing YOUR opinions on anything except the fact that the 1366 socket is the "high end" socket? What if I called it the "baby girl socket", who cares about what names are floating around? Are you just supporting cause you want to make yourself feel more superior by having a "high end" socket rather than a "mainstream" part that's actually better? I don't see any logic in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom