200$ to spend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musjunk22

Daemon Poster
I just got 200 dollars from my birthday. I want to upgrade my comp but I don't know what I should get. If I don't really need an upgrade I'm getting a new paintball gun so it a win win situation. What do you guys think I should do? I also have a 20$ gift card for Gamestop, any games that u reccommend? I think I'm gonna preorder Halo 2.

Here is my system:
Gigabyte GA8IPE-1000 Pro Rev. 2
Intel Celeron 2.8Ghz @ 3.1 w/ stock cooling
256MB (128x2) in Dual Channel, Kingston Value Ram
Sapphire 9800SE 128mb @ 355/313
Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum Pro
DVD-CD Combo Drive (read)
8x DVD+-R/RW and 46x CD-R/RW (write)
Iceberq 4 VGA Cooler
80GB 5400RPM WD
Chieftec Dragon series case w/ window
4 UV lights
3 80mm fans
500W Ultra PSU
UV cable sleeving

Wow, definately a new mobo and processor, celeron's suck.
Here is an awesome setup (I think this is the fifth time I've posted it)-
Get this mobo- http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-167&depa=1 , it's Abit, so it's stable and has tons of oc'ing features.

Get this mobile processor- http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-439&depa=1
With that you can overclock it to 3200+ speeds (2.2ghz) easily and possibly higher with this hs setup- http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-106-037&depa=1

You probably already know that since it's mobile, it uses less power which means less heat and more overclocking.

That comes out to $200.99 before shipping, shipping shouldn't be to hard for you to get your parents to pay for. (Persuasion is good).

You could get more RAM. That 256 isn't that much. 512 is becoming the standard...buuuuuut honestly a paintball gun is quite tempting. lol you could get 1gb kit of kingston valueram for around $150 because I know a single stick of 512mb kingston value ram is $77 cause I just bought some last month.

Wow thats exactly 200 bucks!
But to get the 3200 speeds will my PC3200 Ram be able to take it? I know that with this cpu my ram will be running underclocked but even if it's underclocked will raising the FSB heat it up or will it still run at a decent temp? Also are the mobile XP's as good as regular XP's when it comes to gaming? And how do I know if the cpu is locked?

Trust me the cpu isn't locked, and it is the same for gaming. Your pc3200 ram would work fine because the 2400 oc'ed to 3200 would run at 400mhz fsb / 2 = 200mhz in the bios, and pc3200 is ddr400 which runs at 200mhz. It would be basically the proper ram for the application.

Thanks guys, I think now its between the mobo/cpu/hsf and the paintball gun. UH my head hurts lol.

I just got a paintball gun, and I havent been able to justify the puchase. I admit paintballing is hella fun and hella addicting. I just dont have the money for $50 every weekend on 2000rds of paintballs. I have a field membership though and it comes in handy.

So basically I'm saying get the mobo/cpu/hsf.... I'm curious, what gun where you looking into getting?

either a Tippman A5 or an ACI Sinister, nothing fancy. Yeah I think I'm going to get the mobo/hsf/cpu. So now I know what to ask for when Christmas comes around. thanks.

35w 2400+ XP-M perfect mobile chip for your OC'ing needs. Will easily go to 3200 speeds

lol I spend most of my time on a paintball forum

check out the b/s/t section of pbnation.com.. you can find a lot of people selling their guns on the cheap trying to get money for the next bigger badder gun

a5's are nice but for about the same you could get a used BKO with anti-chop eyes which would shred any mechanical marker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom