I7 or I5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extreme7823

Solid State Member
So I been reading the new 15 came out, just as i have bought everything expect for my mobo and cpu. I was going to be buying the I7 cpu now im wondering would it be better to buy the i5 or just keep on with my plans? Thanks for the advice

It is still a bit early in the game to make a call in my book. IMO if you have the money and want the high end skt go for the 920. If you want to save some cash wait a bit to see how the i5 motherboards pan out and go that route.

I think the i5 is going to be a very popular choice for the general user and the budget minded gamer. But if your an avid gamer or a power user the i7 with a triple channel memory controller is going to rule the roost :D

Get the Core i5. I'm sure it sounds nicer to you guys to have triple channel vs. double channel, but the fact is that the VAST majority of users and applications receive no benefit; in fact in those majority of programs the double channel controller actually performs better. Imagine that.

Also, unless you plan on having high end gpu's in SLI, there is next to no point in considering the i7. The i5 socket will be more upgradable in the future, it will run cooler and use less power, and has turbo boost that will benefit you more than the i7's next to useless turbo boost.

i5, don't let the fact that it's considered "mainstream" or cheaper fool you.

Get the Core i5. I'm sure it sounds nicer to you guys to have triple channel vs. double channel, but the fact is that the VAST majority of users

That's why I said general users or budget minded gamers.

aaronkupen said:
and applications receive no benefit; in fact in those majority of programs the double channel controller actually performs better. Imagine that.

But what about all the newer programs that haven't been released yet. And what programs are you talking about?

aaronkupen said:
Also, unless you plan on having high end gpu's in SLI, there is next to no point in considering the i7.

Considering both ATi and Nvidia will be releasing new cards soon and no one knows for sure how powerful they'll be it's hard to consider this statement as being even slightly true. And playing games in SLI is not the only thing the i7 is good for or at.

aaronkupen said:
The i5 socket will be more upgradable in the future, it will run cooler and use less power, and has turbo boost that will benefit you more than the i7's next to useless turbo boost.

More upgradable in the future. I've heard that with every socket that's been released. Considering the i5 doesn't have all the power that the i7 has it only makes sense that it would run slightly cooler and consume less power. The i7's next to useless turbo boost? How is it useless? It works like a Champ until you hit 5GHz, and I really don't think many people expect to hit 5GHz anyways.

aaronkupen said:
i5, don't let the fact that it's considered "mainstream" or cheaper fool you.

I do agree with this statement

Hmmm, the i5 setup does seem to be decently cheaper, but how does it stand up to the Phenom II x4 940 that seems to be all the rage currently with budget-minded gamers.

Hmmm, the i5 setup does seem to be decently cheaper, but how does it stand up to the Phenom II x4 940 that seems to be all the rage currently with budget-minded gamers.

That's a very good point considering that's what the i5 was released to compete against :D Of course the topic is i7 or i5 :D

Are you guys actually reading reviews and looking at benchmarks to justify your opinions? Every benchmark I've seen has shown that in current applications, the memory controller on the i5 is better than the i7, regardless of triple or double channel.
Not to mention that with single gpu configurations, there is literally no performance difference.

But I guess you guys don't want the facts getting in the way of your opinions, so I guess that is that.

aaronkupen said:
But I guess you guys don't want the facts getting in the way of your opinions, so I guess that is that.

I haven't seen the i5 out perform the i7 in any memory tests. Now with present apps all the memory bandwidth of the i7 may not be needed right now, but what about 6 months or a year from now. For some reason new program versions always seem to need more cpu and memory power. I rarely buy things without considering future possible requirements and more is usually always needed for optimal performance. It may be 6 months or a year from now before the extra power is needed or proves really helpful, but it will make a difference. So the question is, in the next few years would you rather have more power or less power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom