How Can I Switch Between Bootable Drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fairuza

Baseband Member
I've looked at dual booting but realise this isn't what I'm after. It works by having two different operating systems in partitions of one drive.

No, what I'm after, is an easy method of switching between two physical drives before start-up, which are both loaded with Win-XP.

Obviously, I can interrupt the start-up process, accessing the BIOS and changing the set-up in there but is there an easier and more direct method I can use?

Any ideas?

Nice One! im thinking of doing something similar myself,
have been looking into running XP on 1 drive & Snow Leopard on another as you can now run it on an ordinary pc as long as the CPU not AMD.
Be nice to be able to run both seperately instead of partitioning them.
Any forseen problems anyone?

Nice One! im thinking of doing something similar myself,
have been looking into running XP on 1 drive & Snow Leopard on another as you can now run it on an ordinary pc as long as the CPU not AMD.
Be nice to be able to run both seperately instead of partitioning them.
Any forseen problems anyone?

Yes, I see a problem right away: running Mac OS on non-Mac hardware, which is against Apple's TOS (illegal); which we cannot help you with, sorry.

modify the boot.ini file to include both os's. a menu will appear after POST prompting which installation you wish to boot into.

How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows XP

Heyyy!!! Brilliant. Thanks!

This is still called dual booting.

I suppose it must be. Thanks.

Hmm... This ain't gonna work, is it...?

"Note The Bootcfg.exe utility is only available in Windows XP Professional. This utility is not available in Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition. Therefore, this section does not apply to Windows XP Home Edition."

...And the next bit details exactly how to do just what I want to do.
102.gif

With this machine, I'm on Home, not Professional.

'Fraid this is too complicated for me.

Isn't there a little program that can do this instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom