First Desktop Build --- help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekweb

Solid State Member
Ok so i decided to build my own PC after reading and hearing around that it's the best thing to do. I don't need something huge but just an average PC and the only gaming i do is Counter Strike 1.6 and CS Source sometimes. These are the parts that i picked. My budget can go more than this but i just need tips and help. Is there anything i should change or add or remove? Thanks a bunch...

CD/DVD: Newegg.com - Pioneer Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 40X CD-R 32X CD-RW 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner LabelFlash Support - CD / DVD Burners
CASE: Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
HDD: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives - Internal Hard Drives

GPU: Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-N964-LR GeForce 9600 GSO 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Mobo: Newegg.com - ECS G43T-M LGA 775 Intel G43 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core2 Duo E7500 Wolfdale 2.93GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

RAM: Newegg.com - Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR800D2K2/4GR - Desktop Memory

GPU + MOBO + CPU + RAM = 289.99 because of combo on newegg

PSU: Newegg.com - Antec Basiq BP430 430W Continuous Power ATX12V Version 2.2 Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
I don't know anything about Power supplies and all so i coudln't really decide for that. If i need better parts, please tell me i'll pay more. And i think everything is compatible.

All together it costs, $562.91 + tax + shipping = $622.98

Thanks in advance, I'm just eager :)

I haven't had experience with that case but I have heard great things about it!

For the HDD I would go with the : Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives instead of the 1TB because it is faster... (Less space to search on)

I am not too familiar with the lower budget Intel builds but usually around this range the pro builders on here recommend AMD > Intel... I'm sure someone will be on here soon to through something together for you... and building is the best way to go, I priced my rig on Dell and it was well over $1,000 more than what I paid for the parts...

Edit: Take a look at this post... http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/building-new-desktop-first-time-215365/ Seems about in your price range :)

ok ill switch the HDD. and ill switch the Intel to AMD as soon as someone posts the CPU and motherboard to switch to and why. thanks!

well with the case and cd/dvd burner, the price goes up. i don't really want to pass 750 including the tax. is there any way we can cut down?

also can anyone tell me why amd and not intel?

AMD is better bang for your buck, along with ATI. Nvidia and Intel are top of the line usually, but the performance difference is hardly noticeable.

The case is in there :p Just forgot to link sorry, But honestly I'd just go with a cheaper case. IMO it only matter what my pc does, rather then looks. No one other then me then would care sees it and I'm happy with it soooo. To cut it down more you could go with a dual core Callisto and DDR2 RAM, although the ddr2-3 difference isn't noticable yet, it just adds a bit of future "proofness" to the build.

Changing to this :

Mobo
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

RAM
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL - Desktop Memory (other kit is sold out, this one is better anyways for $5 more)

CPU/Case
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

CD/DVD Drive
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

PSU
Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS500D 500W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 - Power Supplies

GPU
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100245HDMI Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

HDD
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

So now that's $596.90 with the same performance, but a different case. Also do you have and Operating System? Vista/windows7 upgrade is another $110.

well i want the case because it looks nice :) . so i'll keep the case.

why does this new ram work better? in what way? (aside from building a PC because it's better, i want to learn at the same time :) )

And for the OS, i have Windows XP that i've used many times to reinstall... that won't do?

thanks in advance.. :)

That Ram has better stock timings, takes less time for it relay information. Don't quote me on that but thats how I understood it, not exactly how it works though. As for the OS is it 64 bit? Otherwise you're computer won't recognize the full 4gb of ram.

what do you mean when you say dd3 is future proof?

btw how long do you think this desktop will be in good use until technology changes and i have to buy a new one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom