Laptop for college

Status
Not open for further replies.

Druid

Fully Optimized
College starts on the 22nd, and I gotta be there on the 20th. Therefore, I need to get myself a laptop pretty quick. I'm looking for the best bang for the buck in the $800-$1000 range. I'd also, prefer a 15" screen, but I can deal with a 17" if it is a better deal.

I've started looking around a little bit. I've found this so far:

Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AS5739G-6132 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T6500(2.10GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 250GB HDD DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GT 130M - Laptops / Notebooks
Newegg.com - MSI GT735-024US NoteBook AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-82(2.20GHz) 17.0" Wide SXGA+ 4GB Memory 320GB HDD DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3850 - Laptops / Notebooks
Asus - Laptop with Intel® Centrino® 2 Processor Technology - White/Black - G51VX-RX05
Gateway - FX Edition Laptop with Intel® Centrino® 2 Processor Technology - P-7805u

Yeah, you're all probably gonna say that the Asus from best buy is the best bang for the buck, but I'm not sure yet if I can do $1000. I'm hoping I can, but my parents are like "This is for school, not gaming." If my dad was the one buying this, I wouldn't stand a chance, but maybe with my mom. Idk, she doesn't want me to take this rig to college with me, so, if I give in to her, I can definitely get a $1000 one, but if not, idk. For those of you in college, do you take your desktop with you, or do you just take a laptop? I would be kinda worried about it getting stolen since it is harder to lock everything down with a full desktop, and it would be a pain to hall back and forth when I go home for Holidays and stuff, but I feel like it is being wasted if I don't have it. All this expensive latest and greatest hardware is going to become not latest and greatest, and during this time, not even used.

Anyway, if anyone can find any better deals, please tell me. Also, on all those laptops, none of them have the kind of battery that gets ruined if the laptop is plugged into power all the time, do they?

One last thing, I'm gonna need a laptop mouse. Does it matter, or can I just grab any old little midget thing? I've never had a laptop before. Hmmm, that reminds me, I'm gonna have to pick out a bag for this bad boy.

Most college students I know, have a little ole' Netbook for in class and whatnot and take their Desktop rigs with them to keep in their dorms and stuff. Some like Ricanflow have special cases where a gaming laptop was absolutely necessary (military). Some argue really that there's no such thing as a gaming notebook, I kind of disagree.

Just keep in mind with gaming notebooks:
a. They don't have much battery life, and are best to keep plugged into the wall when using. (even with an 8-cell Lithium Ion battery [usually the best when it comes to battery life])
b. Both companies do heavy name inflation on the video card names.

EDIT: http://www.techist.com/forums/f84/good-read-211349/

Check out the Tom's Hardware link on the first post. If you are really interested in a gaming laptop, its worth your time (and money possibly).

The GT 220m is on Class 2, and ranks far worse than the HD 3850 and barely above the GT 130m.

I strongly agree with what Vernong said abut having a netbook (or ultraportable) to take to classes. Several people I know bought gaming laptops for college but by the time the first semester was over they ended up getting netbooks and used the gaming laptops like desktops.

Why a netbook? Don't you have to pay for that 3G internet they get or whatever? My campus would be totally wireless.

Nah not at all...

That's if you buy through a company directly.... if you buy from Newegg or something, you can use Wireless.

But I still can't get that internet wherever I go then. What is the point of having a netbook as opposed to a regular, just lower-end, laptop?

Battery life... which is about double a normal low-end notebook.

And even more portable too.

Apple 13.3" MacBook Air 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M - Aluminum unibody MB543LL/A maybe? its an intel so you can run windows on it.

But basically for college, I see a 14-16" screen being perfect (at least 1200*800res, 2gb ram, dual core, and wireless N) if your not taking your tower, then this will be your main pc so bigger screen and higher cap hdd's come into play.

Also, make sure you get a wireless mouse. and note about netbooks, I have found they they kinda suck to type on (eee pc) and perfer a full kb with a numberpad off to the side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom