Mobo: Abit LG-95
Ram: 2GB DDR2-666
Video: GeForce 8600GT 1GB
PSU: Some 400 watt
Moniter: Old CRT
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz

New:

Mobo: ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX
Ram: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Video: I see no reason to upgrade
PSU: Thermaltake W0116RU 750W
Moniter: this
Processor: Intel Pentium E5300 2.6GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core

Any reccomendations? Anything I missed that will make this not work right? (FYI, my new build is $576.92, which is more than I want to pay already. I'm not hiking it up any higher)

The new PSU might be a bit much, you could save money by getting a lower wattage model.

something like this would have more than enough power for your needs and save some cash.
Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 - Power Supplies

Do not know which exact ram you are looking at but if this is cheaper it is great ram:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B - Desktop Memory

Any reason why you are not looking at a AMD Phenom II for an upgrade option as that would save some as well.

Links to your stuff would also be nice. :)

howcome you are set to going with intel? also, you are still deciding to with a psu that you dont need. a less powerful one will instantly save you money right there.

your current selections of mobo, ram, cpu, and psu are gonna cost you $390

for $317, these will easily outperform that setup, and save you $70.

cpu/ram
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

psu that ^hefe had mentioned
Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 - Power Supplies

mobo
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

and switch to this cooler, same price as the one youve picked.
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

also, are you gonna reuse a case, hdd, and optical drive?

I've just always been happy with my Intel processors.

The only reason I went with one that high was so that I could upgrade parts without having to upgrade the PSU, for the occasion when a not-suck video card comes out.

I have 3 hdds I use (500 SATA, 500 IDE, and 250 SATA), which I'll keep, they have plenty of space. I never use an optical drive, so I'll keep my older DVD burner. The only reason I would upgrade my case is for the sake of space, because I don't want to spend money on something I don't need.

I'll likely buy what y'all suggested, minus the PSU (If I'm not going to upgrade, mine is fine (Rosewill RP500-2)

Would this setup support my old video card? (GeForce 8600 GT, 1GB)

why upgrade the motherboard? Socket 775 won't do you any good later

get the sunbeam core-contact freezer and overclock that e2160 to 2.6GHz !

8600GT will work fine, but maybe you can upgrade the video card instead of the motherboard and CPU

yup, that rosewill psu will be fine.

i just asked about the other hardware because you hadnt listed them, was just giving you a heads up incase you were forgetting them or something.

8600GT will work fine, but maybe you can upgrade the video card instead of the motherboard and CPU

My CPU is crap, and my mobo seems to be dying. Also, there really isn't much to upgrade to without spending way more than I'd like. My 1GB has handled everything I've thrown at it so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom