Drives Not Seen By Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Hefemeister. What you said has cleared up some confusion.

Okay, I have the smaller of the two old IDE drive working now. Now to try the other one. Ideally, I want them both in there, running as a slaves, alongside the SATA.

Just set the jumpers I as stated and it should work just fine. Again being master on a IDE cable does not make it the Master boot drive. That is set via bios and your sata is already set as the boot drive.

are the two ide hdd's (slaves) from different manufacturers, or different models?

im pretty sure that if they are from different manufacturers, their jumper settings for master/slave will be different. but im not completely sure if the jumper settings will different if they are from the same manuf. but different models.

just giving a heads up. i would say just check their manuals to make sure.

are the two ide hdd's (slaves) from different manufacturers, or different models?

Funnily enough, they're both Maxtor but they are of rather different generations. The SATA is a completely different animal to the IDE version.

Good news is, I have the 40gb Maxtor online now. I've even installed Win-XP and tried it as a back-up boot drive. It's rubbish at handling XP, obviously, because it's so small and slow. But at least now I've got the hang of managing them through the BIOS settings.

I can have them both jumpered as 'master' but then I can now control their order in boot sequence through the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom