simple boot up problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohGrFreak

ID.10T
I have a not necessarily a problem, but it's a hassle. I tried to reinstall XP home and wipe out my harddrive and start with a fresh install, well, needless to say, it didn't happen due to a few factors. That's not my problem. Now, I decided to not reinstall XP and to just fix the comp myself, and I did, it's running great now, but, now everytime I boot up, I get two options to boot to, one is XP Home and the other is Startup, the Startup option is highlighted by default and if I don't recognize it in time (eight seconds i think) it will automatically boot to start up. It's a pain to sit here anxiously waiting to press the up key and hit enter just to boot to XP Home, which was my default before I tried to reinstall.

Now, how do I get rid of the "Startup" option and have XP automatically boot to XP again?

I know this is probably a simple fix and I'm just overlooking a setting or something, but McAfee has given me the biggest headache today and I just don't want to search right now.

Thanks in advance,
Matthew

There is a file on the root of you boot drive. It is called boot.ini. Edit this file and delete the old entry for which OS you want to boot too. This is found by looking at the startup option in the file. Delete it and change the timeout to 0. That should do it for you...
Save your changes and reboot.

sorry about that... My fingers and brain are not organized enought to correct each other all of the time...

Major is right.

The folder: $WIN_NT$.~BT , instead of modifying an ini file, could I just get rid of this folder that was created when the startup option started to not boot to the startup screen?

I can't find a boot.ini file, only a boot.ini.backup, which is also in the above folder.

EDIT (i just don't trust myself to modifying system files)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom