Good monitor for a CAD/Office Computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antec-User

Papa Chester
My father is letting me build him a new computer. I have a Phenom 9950BE CPU and an ASUS M4A78Pro MoBo laying around, and an X1650 Saphire GPU. I picked out a bunch of stuff for him already and he was saying he saw a nice HP 23" monitor at Best Buy that he liked. This will be his home office computer. He's a project manager and estimator. He will be running Auto CAD on it a lot and needs the clarity.

It has to be crystal clear and he was budgeting for $300 for the monitor. I found him this one:

Any good?
Newegg.com - Acer X233Hbid Black 23" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 40000:1 (ACM) - LCD Monitors

Other details on what I have picked out for him:
4g 1066 GSkill (Price for similar sticks @ 4g would be the same, so I got him the 1066)
Rosewill 430W "Green" PSU
SATA DVD/CD R/RW
SATA WDC "BLUE" 750g Storage HDD
SATA WDC "GREEN" 320g OS HDD
ENERMAX Pandora 185 Case
Rosewill fan cooled External HDD Enclosure

I want him to try a Tablet instead of a mouse, but I'm trying to keep the price down, and just get what he needs. He's running an OLD Gateway Pent III with a 160g HDD and 2g of RAM right now, on top of a 15" monitor. We've got another monitor hanging around so I'll hook him up with a dual monitor display, also... :D

^ An X1650 should support the larger and higher rez monitors, right? I don't think he'd need much more than that card to efficiently run a CAD program, right?

I'll mention it to him and see what he thinks. His budget is $300 for the monitor, but I don't want to spend it all if I can help it.

He mentioned that he found an HP rig at best buy with a 750g HDD and a 23" monitor for like $800, I told him I could build it much cheaper if he wanted. He said ok... He's been telling me "Just make sure it's enough to run Auto Cad." I'm secretly laughing inside because I don't think he knows exactly what a monster a Quad Core CPU can be... :D :D :D :D He won't have a problem... I told him he can run about a DOZEN of those at once and it will still run fine.. The minimum system req for auto CAD are a Pent4 1.6g @ 1.5g RAM or equivalent.... LOL!! oh, it'll RUN it alright!!! he's used to Pent III and Pent 4 CPU's...

but auto cad can be extremely ram and video card hungry. i would recomend getting 4gb min and getting one of the lower end quadro cards. because i had to work with it on a school PC with a pent 4 and intel integrated gfx. and that sucks.

Well yeh obviously the bigger the better for CAD. That goes for resolution as well. But quality also comes into play a fair bit. I know my eyes used to hurt after hours at my old Asus 22" screen, but have never hurt since i got my Dell. That being said i know he doesnt have much cash, but a good 24" screen like the Benq G2400WD would be good as its not an overly bright screen.

The X1650 should be ok for CAD. It doesnt take much graphics horsepower unless your trying to do more 3d stuff. If he uses ArchiCad, Revit, Solidworks etc then he might find it slightly slow, but things like AutoCad will be fine.

Is he using AutoCAD for 2D or 3D?

This is a Great Monitor for AutoCAD for the price :D

Newegg.com - Hanns·G HG-281DPB Black 28" 3ms Widescreen LCD HDMI Monitor 500 cd/m2 800:1 Built-in Speakers - LCD Monitors

Here's a picture of mine compared to a 22" thou I have this slightly more expensive model.
Newegg.com - Hanns·G HH-281HPB Black 28" 3ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 400 cd/m2 DC 15000:1(800:1) Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors

monitorva9.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom