Worklog: Orange55

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice job there, cuts look great!

Thanks, took a lot of hand sanding/filing to get them right...hopefully they have a proper gap for when the paint is applied.

Good measurements if they were good on the first try hehe. Looks good :).

Lol, yeah...it was a rare pleasure, thought for sure the first front bezel would need to be redone. Usually the first serves as a learning template for the second! :D

Honey do's always come before technology. Bah is right! Good work!

Yup, so she reminds me every time I try and sneak out to the garage to do some more work :p. Hopefully I'll have some more to post soon....framing/drywalling is done, now just need to mud and tile the floor. Then......freedom!

Well, the wife was gone for the day yesterday so instead of sanding the mud work on the basement renos I figured I'd do some modding! Anyways, I hit my first hitch in the project today, while lining up the fan and stuff I realized it wasn't going to work with where I needed the fan to go…so had to cut out a large front hole and use some more spare plexy as a mounting bracket:
Picture164.jpg

So now the bracket mounts to the front of the case and the fan mounts to the bracket…more than one way to skin a cat. As you can see though, there were some issues in making it fit around the bottom plugins.
Picture231.jpg

Bit of a rough cut :p Time to get the files out and smooth that out a bit but atleast for now it fits.

Well, trouble always seem to come in pairs, problem number two… Alignment between the front blue I/O shield and the new custom front panel in my previous postisn't quite as perfect as I thought it was originally. The gap on the top is ever so slightly larger than the gap at the bottom. To be honest, nobody would probably notice…but I'd know, and it would bother me to no end! Solution? Well now…simply mount it upside down and re drill/tap the new holes, problem solved :D.
Picture165.jpg

Ok, well that's it for today, the wife will be back soon and I've had enough problem solving for one day.

lol, nice job with the 2nd problem.
Here's a prediction for you. I think...you were wearing...lemme see....a red shirt...with um...sunglasses. Yeah that's it :)
lawl.
nice camera too btw. gotta love plexy :D

lol, nice job with the 2nd problem.
Here's a prediction for you. I think...you were wearing...lemme see....a red shirt...with um...sunglasses. Yeah that's it :)
lawl.
nice camera too btw. gotta love plexy :D

Lol, yeah, I was ****ed at that for half of the day before I realized....just flip it! I know what the problem was, the rest of my measurements were off the top while that one was off the bottom. Always use the same baseline for measurements..lesson learnt. Anyways, slight error but I couldn't leave it. Had to cut a chunk out of the side of the I/O bracket for the wires since they were originally designed to go out the other side but that was a quick dremel cut.

Camera works for me, is an old canon S2IS. Good in the sunlight, not so good in low light, but I guess that is the curse of all the digital cameras.

Ok, quick update time from between mudding and sanding sessions on the basement. Ironically i was "mudding" and sanding in the garage for the mod as well!…. I broke out the short strand fiberglass today,the front panel to the DVD drive has a bezel and groove to it that I don't like and I'd like to make a new cover for the second expansion bay. Although I'd prefer to stealth the drive this makes more sense for my cousin, also fits the budget and timeline better. I figured I'd give a try with the provided perforated front bay cover and just fiberglass the holes.

Picture162.jpg

Am wondering if this is more work than just creating a new one out of some acrylic…I'm going to just tell myself that getting the depth perfect on a custom drive bay cover would have been a nightmare and that this is easier….I'll just keep telling myself that: it would be harder, it would be harder.....it would be harder.

I'll have to do a few more coats of this plus bondo filler for the pin head holes and then I'll get you some more photos.

Wow, what's going on there?

edit: ooh, reworking the look for the front panels. got it :D I've never seen it done like this before, interesting...

Wow, what's going on there?

edit: ooh, reworking the look for the front panels. got it :D I've never seen it done like this before, interesting...

Lol, may not look that pretty now but theoretically it should work out well. I've done this a few times on DVD drives but never for the mesh bays. In the past I've just cut acrylic to size....will see if this works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom