A Good Media Laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raw P

Baseband Member
All I plan to do with my laptop is surf, watch videos, mathematica/matlab, minimal gaming (don't need a gaming laptop, I don't mind playing games at lowest settings and resolution). I mainly want a laptop that can watch high quality videos without any lag. The main thing I'm looking for in a laptop is battery life. I would like it to be 14.1" but I can go with anything aound it (HD screen perhaps?). The laptop needs a DVD burner, card reader, and HDMI port. Bluetooth and webcam are optional but would be a plus. Hopefully the laptop can last me through college. Please try to keep it under $800, but I will consider laptops over it.

Any thoughts on this?:
Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AS5739G-6132 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T6500(2.10GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 250GB HDD DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GT 130M - Laptops / Notebooks

For the same price and a bit more gaming performance:

Newegg.com - TOSHIBA Satellite A505-S6969 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T6500(2.10GHz) 16" 4GB Memory DDR2 800 250GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 - Laptops / Notebooks

With these type of laptops, you won't really get a long battery life, as the specs are pretty powerful. Maybe around 2-3 hours, depending on how you use it. If you wanted a laptop that can last a really long time before charging, the specs would be considerably lower.

Like this:
Newegg.com - Acer Aspire Timeline AS3810T-8503 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Solo SU3500(1.40GHz) 13.3" Wide XGA 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 320GB HDD Intel GMA 4500MHD - Laptops / Notebooks
But with a pretty slow processor, I think this would struggle watching HD video.

Your first choice is pretty good actually. I think it will last a bit more in terms of battery, than the Toshiba, as it has a less powerful graphics chip, and should watch HD video without a problem.

Thanks for the recommendations and input on the Aspire. I think I will go with the Aspire because it's a bit smaller (15.6" is the biggest I'll go, hopefully I can find a smaller laptop) and the battery on it is pretty good (3-4 hours on minimum usage). I'm new to the HDMI and laptop world. Will the Aspire be powerful enough to output 1080p to my TV? If not, what about 720p? I'll keep searching for more laptops, if I can't find anything else I'll go with the Aspire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom