Energy Savings for Our Small Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boma

In Runtime
I'm the Sys Admin for our small company, and I would like to reduce energy costs if it's cost effective.

We run a Dell Poweredge 2500 File Server and a 2 Custom built Windows XP File servers, an XP Laptop, various linksys/netgear switches/routers and leave them on 24/7. They're running on 2 Cyberpower 1500AVR UPS and a small Opti-UPS. There's also a really old Dukane 35 PA system that is on 24/7. ( I wonder how much power it draws, looks like it's from the 80's)

The custom pcs uses a generic 300watt power supply.

Can anything be done to save money on our monthly bill?

Easy start would be to have any of the desktop / laptops go into sleep / hibernation mode in the evening. Or have the turned off at night. Depending on how many computers you have that will save a TON. I mean aside from the file servers you don't need all of those computers running at night. Who is in the office between 7 PM and 6 AM? Probably no one but IT people (you:)).

Secondly would be you could run some type of switch system that would turn off unneeded routers and switches at night. There are controllers out there that can stop / start power going to through objects (like a surge protector or just one device). Plug these into the unneeded network devices that are dumb and can't power themseleves off. Then set the timer for no power between a selected time frame. Problem being if someone comes in at 9 PM to run some reports off the server it wouldn't be accessible (maybe run a wirless option for evening so you are just running one wireless router that would only be on at night?).

Just a few ideas - I too had to do something similar for a small company I worked for.

Look for 80 Plus Certified PSUs. You can reduce your power usage by as much as 20% on the computers by getting the right kind. Gold is the best, but its hard to find them in lower wattage.

Look for 80 Plus Certified PSUs. You can reduce your power usage by as much as 20% on the computers by getting the right kind. Gold is the best, but its hard to find them in lower wattage.

How long would it take to realize the savings from that? We have maybe 8 computers using no name power supplies and a Windows XP File Server that runs 24/7 and it uses a no name 300W. Lastly we have linux Dell Poweredge 2500 Server that runs 24/7, but I assume changing the power supply isn't as easy.

"Lastly we have linux Dell Poweredge 2500 Server that runs 24/7, but I assume changing the power supply isn't as easy."
Why do you assume that?

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend replacing the PSUs. Just keeping machines off when you aren't using them is going to be the easiest and most effective way (leave switches and routers on though).

First off, if its a blade server, it won't be as easy. Blade servers use custom power supplies (multiple, they usually accept two for redundancy). If its a tower its probably a normal.

I can't tell you how long it will take to realize savings, because I don't have the information on your power usage. 80 plus are called 80 plus because they are all over 80% efficient, whereas stock ones are lower. The golds ones are in the 90s for all usage rates. This results in 20% decrease in electricity use, on average.

Here's a savings calculator:

The 80 PLUS Program | Calculate Your Potential Savings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom