Adding a fan... Exhuast or Intake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And so how does the air get out of the case then? 3 in and 1 out, not to mention gthe exhaust would be 3 inchs from the top intake.

Airflow needs to flow, that setup doesnt, with out better mid fan placement.

just like aspire said, it's not air tight. it will push out mostly of the rear fan. it will lower the temps of your mobo and CPU area.

Just wondering, but would it be better to have the heatsink fan blowing up into an exhaust fan or back in to an exhaust fan?

Just wondering, but would it be better to have the heatsink fan blowing up into an exhaust fan or back in to an exhaust fan?

Back, if you arranged a heatsink to blow the hot air upwards, it would simply feed extremely hot air to the power supply and make it's job that much more difficult.

If your case has the power supply at the bottom then this all goes out the window and it really makes no difference.

The preferred orientation is to have the fan blowing back to an exhaust fan. But if it won't fit then up to an exhaust is ok :D

I'm going to be putting the Prolimatech Megahalems on my i7, and was wondering whether to seat it upwards or sideways. My PSU is at the bottom, so that's why I brought up the idea of putting it blowing up towards a top exhaust fan. Guess it doesn't really matter as long as it blows to an exhaust.

just like aspire said, it's not air tight. it will push out mostly of the rear fan. it will lower the temps of your mobo and CPU area.

How can it go out the rear fan when the rear fan is only 3 inches from the top??

It can'rt.. The top fan will push air down past the fan before it can even get caught by the rear exhaust.

Of coarse the case isn't air tight, never said or thought it was... But why would you want to start forcing air out of nooks and crannies and waste the cfm you bought your fans for?
Besides that, having fans blow at each other is going to push air into all areas and cause dead pools. Why fight A natural hot air motion? cool air in from the bottom feeds the gpus, air from the middle feeds the mobo coolers, and the top and rear exhaust the already rising hot air from the board and cpu directly out.

This is probably why alot of higher end cases are bottom psu mounted.

I'm not doubting youre getting cooler temps in areas, but that heat isn't magically going away.
Properly vented case would suck out the hot air, but the average, and generic cases., like the one in this threads OP, arn't. So if you can get the air out, then great.

Question also then becomes.. If its such a better cooling setup.. Why don't the makers, set nthem up that way to begin?

I'm going to be putting the Prolimatech Megahalems on my i7, and was wondering whether to seat it upwards or sideways. My PSU is at the bottom, so that's why I brought up the idea of putting it blowing up towards a top exhaust fan. Guess it doesn't really matter as long as it blows to an exhaust.

You might be stuck by design.. my tuniq `120 had to go out the back by design of the mobo pin placement.

How can it go out the rear fan when the rear fan is only 3 inches from the top??

It can'rt.. The top fan will push air down past the fan before it can even get caught by the rear exhaust.

Of coarse the case isn't air tight, never said or thought it was... But why would you want to start forcing air out of nooks and crannies and waste the cfm you bought your fans for?
Besides that, having fans blow at each other is going to push air into all areas and cause dead pools. Why fight A natural hot air motion? cool air in from the bottom feeds the gpus, air from the middle feeds the mobo coolers, and the top and rear exhaust the already rising hot air from the board and cpu directly out.

I'm not doubting youre getting cooler temps in areas, but that heat isn't magically going away.
Properly vented case would suck out the hot air, but the average, and generic cases., like the one in this threads OP, arn't. So if you can get the air out, then great.

Question also then becomes.. If its such a better cooling setup.. Why don't the makers, set nthem up that way to begin?

You might be stuck by design.. my tuniq `120 had to go out the back by design of the mobo pin placement.

the air does not flow forever, it will get sucked out by the rear fan. it's not going to be hurricane force winds in your case :p

You seem to fail to grasp the concept that no matter how air moves through a case it enters colder than when it exits and always carries some amount of heat out of the case regardless of whether it leaves through an exhaust fan or the mesh side of a case panel.

Especially in a situation where the side panel is completely mesh, a top intake works much better, heck, even running all the fans as intakes would probably cool things better than any other setup.

I'll wait for overlord results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom