Ready to Pull the Trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

DemiGod

Beta member
Hey folks, new to the forum;

I am building a new computer here and did a thorough amount of research; tracking items for the past year hoping to find the best time to buy.

I'm ready to pull the trigger and hope that some of you can take a look over my components here and see if i'm overlooking any important factors; compatibility issues, etc.

This computer will be mainly used for 3dsMax, photoshopping, music production and gaming - with a flexible budget of $1500 +/- $100.

Item List:

$266 - Intel Core i7 2.66 GHz Processor

$53 - Titan Fenrir Universal CPU Cooler (Socket 1366 / 775 / AM2+ / AM2 / AM3 / 940 / 939 / 754 / K8) - (TTC-NK85TZ)

$145 - Corsair XMS3 6 GB ( 3 x 2 GB ) Memory - DIMM 240-pin - 1600 MHz ( PC3-12800 )
[should I bump to 12 GB?]

$212 - eVGA X58 SLI LE - motherboard - ATX - iX58 - LGA1366 Socket

$232 - eVGA GeForce GTX 280 Graphics adapter - 1 GB - GDDR3 SDRAM
[bump to gtx285?]

$224 - Antec Signature Series 850W PSU ( SG-850 )
[bump to 950?]

$206 - PIONEER BDR-203BK BDR-203 8x Blu-ray Drive (Double-layer) BD-R/RE 8x 2x 8x (BD) 16x 8x 16x (DVD) 32x 24x 40x (CD) Serial ATA Internal Black OEM

$87 - WD Caviar Black 1 TB Internal hard drive - 300 MBps - 7200 rpm

$128 - Zalman Tech GS1000SE Full Tower Enclosure

Current Total ~ $1,553

Any critiques on items I chose and your likes/dislikes for them are welcome and encouraged. I know enough to know I don't know everything.

Now I do have one additional side issue - I'm still looking for a good soundcard under $100. I record mainly acoustic guitar but would like to be able to record anything from trumpets to inputing electric guitar amps/preamps, etc. Any suggestions? I heard there was a difference between PCI-E soundcards versus external adapters of some sort? Anyone able to shed light on this?

I'm also considering a relatively cheap soundcard as my 'entry' into more evolved music production and perhaps i'll get a more expensive card later.

How about votes for the cheaper cards?

I'd like to keep the price close to the current total, so any recommendations on downgrading some components to be able to fit the soundcard in there is appreciated as well.

Thanks, guys. :cool:

On that soundcard:

"Cons: Requires more power, so you have to plug it in to an external power, never seen that before for a sound card, guess there getting more powerful then they used to be lol."

Seriously?

^ as this has been said before many times, newegg reviewers are retarted. it requires a floppy power connector. which the PSU you have selected has one.

Ah, of course. I don't even like reading sales-site reviews because of just that. That, and I always subconsciously feel that every good review is a fake [obviously not].

Anyhow, what makes that better ram?

Let me also mention that I plan to use windows 7 as I use XP now and plan to bypass vista completely.

^ that card is only for people who do alot of MIDI recording and stuff like that. you wont be able to hook up regular PC speakers to it unless you get a special kind of adapter. the asus i posted will be better for what you are doing.

Hmm, what kind of adapter are we talking about?

The card is mainly for input then? People's comments seem to indicate that it does both [meaning no additional hardware necessity metioned]. I will also be getting a keyboard to use with audio programs, so midi is also important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom