Graphics Card Display problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sketzii

Beta member
Hello recently my PC came back from repairs and when I got my computer back home I had a look inside the computer and took out my graphics card to compare it to my brothers. However when I put it back in and turned on my computer the display was all jumbled up with the screen resolution being too big and lots of "dashes" of colour sprawled across my screen.

I tried to change the resolution and the colour-quality option to a higher level however after I selected two higher options I tried to click ok however the display stayed the same with none of the changes actually happening.

I decided to go onto the device managed and I saw that my Graphics card (Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT) had a yellow ! next to it with a "This device could not start - Code 10".

I decided to uninstall my drivers and take out my graphics card and load my computer without any graphics card inside and the computer loaded up fine, the screen was fine, the resolution was fine etc.

So I put my graphics card back in and the jumbled screen thing came on again, I put in my CD and installed the drivers etc and then restarted my PC but the problem was still there including the ! error.

I tried downloading the latest drivers from Nvidia but after I went through the procedure I got the message "This system was not modified."

Once again the PC without the graphics card is working fine. :confused:

I do not know what to do now, any help getting my graphics card to work again would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. My graphics card was working fine before I first took it out.

Hey, I just now saw your post and found it quite odd for this to be doing that.
When you put your graphics card back in your PCI express slot 16, did you also attach the wire that goes from your video card to the pci express slot 1 ?
That sounds like that might be the problem itself, try a used pci express 16 graphics card with the wire attached and see if the problem still persists.

Hey thanks for the reply.

I am not quite sure what you mean but everytime I put in my graphics card I change the wire that connects the monitor to the actual computer to the slot on the graphics card.

Well what I meant by pci express x1 connector is this:
pci express x1 connector - Google Search

Most of the time whenever you put in your graphics card most cards have a connector that will attach to pci express x1 connector, it's right by pci express x16 slot, have a look at your motherbaord and you'll see what I mean.

Ok, let me ask this also are using VGA connector or DVI to hook up your montior ?
which one is causing the main the problem, vga or dvi ?

Sorry but I do ot really know much about this connector thing, when I install the graphics card I put it into the pci-e slot and thats it, nothing with wires. Is my graphics card also supposed to have some wires connected directly to it?

Just below the slot however there are two rectangular parts with 10 small squares insides, with 6 wires coming out of 6 squares on each part, is this anything to do with the problem?

The graphics card has a VGA female slot and a DVI-I Dual Link slot, my monitor has a VGA female slot. The cable I have uses both of the VGA slots however I recently bought a VGA - Dvi-I dual link adapter and tested the cable on the other graphics card slot but the problem was still there.

Thanks

I have got a better graphics card now, the Nvidia GeForce 9600 GSO. I inserted the graphics card then it started to make a high pitched beeep noise when I turned the PC on. I researched the problem and discovered it needed what is callled a 6-pin pci-e connector. I have found the slot that the connector fits into on the graphics card but I cannot locate the wires that connect to it.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I cannot see any other video cardss atm, well underneath my pci-e slot there are two other slots, each with a long sapce in it then a smaller space to the left. In one of the slots is a card, in which my ethernet cable is currently connected to get me on the internet.

AMD Athlon 64 Prcoessor
4000+
2.4ghz, 448MB of RAM (getting 1gb more soon)

Does anyone know why my old video card is behaving erractically still?

Well it could be alot of things.. Why was the computre in the shop to begin with?
The slots under the pci-e are just pci slots.

I decided to uninstall my drivers and take out my graphics card and load my computer without any graphics card inside and the computer loaded up fine, the screen was fine, the resolution was fine etc.

This implies you have an onboard card or something... Is that true? Do you know what mobo you have?

It could be quite possible you didn't properly put back in the 8500. Try reseating and give it a try

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom