Adding a fan... Exhuast or Intake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having the top as an intake is fighting thermal dynamics and airflow. and you end up squishing air into the middle of your case. Youre also pushing hot mobo air to your gpu....

So while it'll cool the northbridge, youre also heating your other components.

You're forgetting that the rear exhaust will pull the majority of the hot air from around the cpu socket out of the case.

Also, the graphics card heatsink is on the other side of board and thus isn't pulling in hot air from the top intake.

I ran a blowhole with a 120mm fan both directions. As a blowhole it just pulled aiflow away from my power supply and rear fans.

As an intake it supplied fresh air to the entire top of the case and helped EVERYTHING run cooler.

Maybe your case is different, but those are my experiences.

rIGHT HERE: PC Case Mod Guides, How Tos, Dremel, Paint Tutorials and Videos

You're forgetting that the rear exhaust will pull the majority of the hot air from around the cpu socket out of the case.

Also, the graphics card heatsink is on the other side of board and thus isn't pulling in hot air from the top intake.

I ran a blowhole with a 120mm fan both directions. As a blowhole it just pulled aiflow away from my power supply and rear fans.

As an intake it supplied fresh air to the entire top of the case and helped EVERYTHING run cooler.

Maybe your case is different, but those are my experiences.

But if you add too much in, its not going to be able to flow out like you think. So you'll get a hot pocket in the middle where your gpu sucks air in, so it wouldn't matter where the heatsinks are.

You've seem to have a direct through and through for the mid case area, which would move the hot air, but not everyone would be in that situation, I'd bet its a lot who don't have that setup. You gotta get the middle exhausted or heat will buildup, plain and simple.

Even my 900, air doesn't exhaust out the mid of the case, so your setup wouldn't work for it.

But if you add too much in, its not going to be able to flow out like you think. So you'll get a hot pocket in the middle where your gpu sucks air in, so it wouldn't matter where the heatsinks are.

You've seem to have a direct through and through for the mid case area, which would move the hot air, but not everyone would be in that situation, I'd bet its a lot who don't have that setup. You gotta get the middle exhausted or heat will buildup, plain and simple.

Even my 900, air doesn't exhaust out the mid of the case, so your setup wouldn't work for it.

My case has essentially 4 120mm fans pulling air out the back of my case as a result of my radiator mounted to the rear of the case.

Pulling air out of the middle of my case isn't and has never been an issue. Getting cool air in has.

Front on the bottom, intake. Otherwise you will have air going into your face.
Rear at the back or on top, outtake.

The only thing I hate about top outtake fans is that you really do not want to be putting them under your desk. I made that mistake once and i found myself constantly blown with air every time I was sitting down.

and you are most likely going want to have that top fan as intake.

dude you should try turning your top 200mm fan on your 900 to intake, you will be surprised at how much the temps will drop.

dude you should try turning your top 200mm fan on your 900 to intake, you will be surprised at how much the temps will drop.

And so how does the air get out of the case then? 3 in and 1 out, not to mention gthe exhaust would be 3 inchs from the top intake.

Airflow needs to flow, that setup doesnt, with out better mid fan placement.

And so how does the air get out of the case then? 3 in and 1 out, not to mention gthe exhaust would be 3 inchs from the top intake.

Airflow needs to flow, that setup doesnt, with out better mid fan placement.

A case is not an airtight vessel.

As you force air into the case if you don't have an equal setup of cfm fans it does not matter. It will force it's way out of every seam, vent, or hole in the case.

This is the entire concept revolving around positive pressure clean rooms. Force enough filtered air into the building and the pressure will force it's way out of any opening it can to prevent contaminants from entering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom