Computer won't startup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
crack the case and remove all uneeded items. Basically, remove the CD drive (unplug, not literally remove), floppy disk and any other peripherials. Bare bones system. Now see if it will boot.

Kiri
1. It doesn't beep at all. I don't think it ever has though.
2. And as far as the blue screen goes, I went through it several times and I think I saw the word registry and maybe F8 somewhere on the page. It is only on for a split second, but I can tell the whole page is filled with writing.
3. I can't start windows to get to the control pannel.
4. I can't get into windows even in safe mode to try to do a restore. If there is another way to do it I don't know how.

killians45
I unplugged the CD drives and the floppy and it still did the same thing.

boot to your cd and do repair option. you have to tell to install first, then do the repair. you won't loose any files.

Okay, JB. From what you tell me I'm initially thinking a RAM woe. Try moving your own RAM card over to the next slot. If that fails try a known good RAM card that will suit your system.

If you have no joy this is hopefully a power supply problem. Borrow a friends good power supply and see how that goes.

If that fails. You might want to swear a whole lot 'cause we may be looking at your motherboard, but we will try other stuff first.

Are you familiar with your BIOs? If so you may need to enable your boot virus alarm just in case. I doubt it though.

Check your processor fan. It should be spinning without fluctuation (it does during boot up/wait till the machine is booted fully). It should be spinning like a mini jet engine then. If not, turn the machine off, unplug, unscrew the fan and clean it with the trusty little paint brush. Also clean the heat sink with one of those cool little mini air compressors. Please do not remove the heat sink unless you have to. You can blast it with the air compressor and vacuum up the fine dust with a normal vacuum cleaner... carefully.

Off topic but slightly relevent... If your processor is getting hot you will initially get "explorer is causing invalid page errors/faults in... ***.dll. The first will be kernel32.dll. The rest will be random .dll files. First, clean your heatsink!!! Your processor is overheating.

I get sidetracked so easily.

Get back to me if any of those don't work, JB.

Cheers
kiri

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you guys. I had to go to New York friday morning and just got back last night.

Kiri
I stuck the ram card in the other slot and it is sill doing the exact same thing. I also inspected the fan and the heat sink and both were suprisingly clean (Haven't used the computer all that much though) and the fan was working properly as well.

If it is the motherboard, and this computer is close to 2 years old, what would I be looking at to replace it and would it even be worth it?

John

Sorry

Windows XP Home

AMD Athlon XP Processor Model 2000 (1.67GHz)
256MB RC2100 DDR Total System Memory
40GB Hard Drive
16X DVD-ROM
40X CD-RW

If there is anything else you need, let me know. I'm still learing the lay of the land on this forum.

it sound like maybe some of your files are missing, maybe from spybot, maybe for something else.

put your xp cd in, boot from it, press the f2 button for automatic system recovery (it says something like that) type a few letters (any letters will do) then the cd will give you options on what commands to type

pick the option that will restore your missing files. I forget what it is called. it has been awhile since i used the feature. I once was manually installing bootscreens and I mess up (I installid one that wouldn't work with sp1) and the computer wouldn't boot. there are a lot of options to fix XP from that automatic system recovery

Wow, this is so frustrating

I tried putting in the windows cd and it would never give me the options to try and recover
It went to a dos prompt asking me to type a installation code, but everytime I typed something and hit enter, it would just keep asking the same question w/o giving me any options.

Not being a computer genius or anything I am almost to the point where I am willing to reformat it just so I can hopefully get this behind me.

If there is anything else I need to do as far as diagnostics go, you will probably need to spell it out for me b.c everything I am doing now is on unchartered waters for me.

I do appreciate your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom