I think I have a hardware issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well.. I put in a new case fan, but as suspected, no results. So I started changing out/around the 3 sticks of RAM. Whenever I started using just 1 stick in the DIMM1 slot the computer would boot almost every time and then freeze when checking hardware or start booting into windows and freeze. I am wondering if this shows a RAM problem. I think I am going to buy a new stick of ram and perhaps a RAM fan.. anyone else have any other ideas?

Thanks,

So I got a new 1GIG stick of RAM And loaded it up - and unsurprisingly the same thing is happening. Sometimes I boot up far enough to get into the CMOS, often it freezes just after the memory check. I got into the CMOS for long enough to check the temps - CPU was at 52c and SYSTEM at 28c - these numbers off? CPU fan speed was 2234 RPM. If all these temps are normal, is my next step to buy a new power supply?

I did a reboot after it froze in this CMOS, and after the reboot the CPU temp was reading steady 56c and SYSTEM temp was 32-34c. It froze again after about 60 seconds in the CMOS. This is in fact making me think that something is overheating and not a power supply issue - when I leave the computer running in "freeze" mode, then try to reboot with the reset button, it rarely works - typically I have to use the master power switch on the power supply, wait 10 or 15 seconds and it will restart.

Edit..

So I took the whole box down in the basement and super air cleaned it again. I also pulled off the heatsink - perhaps a mistake, but I think not, and made sure it was really clean and free of debris. All 4 fans appear to be working fine - CPU, Case, power supply, vid card. Thing still freezes and is running on only a single stick of brand new RAM. Should I pony up and replace the power supply? Anyone have any ideas here?

Thanks for any help..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom